Author Topic: running it  (Read 13054 times)

Rach

• TDA Member
running it
« on: May 23, 2011, 11:25:46 AM »
hello, im a first time poster on here :) just wanted to ask why is it you can only run it 4 times? what if i wanted to run it more times thank you :)

DCJ001

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
Re: running it
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 11:49:18 AM »
1. Are you talking about running a full board, the turn and river, or just the river, multiple times?

2. How many times do you want to run it?

3. How many cards are left to deal when you're looking to run it multiple times?

4. Why are you interested in running the board multiple times?

chet

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 12:58:41 PM »
There is NO RULE about how many times you can "run it".  I suppose you can run it until you run out of cards.  These are one of the things that should be determined by your "House rules".  Personally, I wouldn't allow it at all.  My house is in business to make money, all these nonsensical aberrations to the game do absolutely NOTHING to add to the house profit and therefore I would not allow them to continue.  House profit depends on the number of hands per hour and if you allow this stuff, I submit your hands per hour (and therefore your profit) will drop considerably.

Whether to run the board, turn/river or just the river more than once is something the players involved in the hand at the time this issue comes up have to decide between themselves.  If the house allows this foolishness, the dealers ONLY responsibility is to ensure the house rules are followed.  If the players cannot agree, then my decision would be that the will only be one flop, turn and river.

My suggestions would be to concentrate on the game as it is generally considered normal.  These aberrations are nice to know about, but your learning time is better spent getting a copy of Robert's Rules of Poker or some other generally accepted text and learning that forward and backward, at least that is how I see it.

Rach

• TDA Member
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 01:28:46 PM »
okayy thank you chet :)

chet

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 11:30:30 AM »
While I am unaware of any formal "rule" regarding how "running it" is done, every time I have seen it on the "made for TV" poker games, the players have agreed on all the conditions BEFORE hand.  I don't think there are any "do overs" allowed, at least there wouldn't be in my game, cuz I wouldn't allow this foolishness in the first place.

Nick C

• http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 11:59:49 AM »
 What's next, maybe they want to copy the World Series of Baseball and make it the best of seven.
What in the heck ever happened to the old............"I guess I'll play the hand I'm dealt!"
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 12:40:15 PM by Nick C »

chet

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 06:03:15 PM »
Nick: 

Television and Poker, hmmmmmm

As with many things, for some Televised Poker has been a complete Blessing, for others it has been a complete disaster. 

To quote Fox News, "We Report, You Decide".

Spence

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 06:20:53 PM »
You guys are hilarious ;D
http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?topic=376.0
This thread was on here not long ago at all. Perhaps it can help as well Rach

Brian Vickers

• Poker Manager
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2011, 07:27:22 AM »
If you do allow running it more than once, I suggest that you limit it to only the higher limit games (whatever you determine those stakes to be at your establishment) and also limit it to running it two times (or possibly three if the limits are high enough).  If you offer timed rake then hands per hour are less of an issue (other than to the dealer's tokes).  If you offer a % of every pot rake, then you must really limit yourself in matters like this or there will be missed profits.

Nick C

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2011, 09:05:11 AM »
Brian,
 I can agree to a point. The timed rake (pay for time) or a timed session fee, is fine for the house but ask some of the players how they feel about "running it" multiple times? I don't think they like paying for about 20 hands per 30 minute round and actually playing 12 or 15 because players are dragging out too many hands by running it. I would not even allow it. It adds an exciting demention for TV but, even that can go too far (IMO).

Brian Vickers

• Poker Manager
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2011, 01:33:06 PM »
Well, whether you do it or not in Hold'em is fine either way, but if you're gonna run a big PLO game, you better offer at least twice for them.

Spence

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2011, 04:23:38 PM »
We offer running it twice at higher limits but with the stipulation that it is raked as many time as it is run. This is usually deterrent enough, and it solves the problems of rake per hour being reduced when running it more than once.

chet

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2011, 04:32:57 PM »
Sounds like a reasonable solution to me!!  If the dummies want to play that way, let'em pay that way.

Nick C

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2011, 07:07:47 AM »
Spence,
 Now, there is the solution......great idea.

Dave Lamb

• TDA Founding Member
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2011, 04:32:21 PM »
Spence nailed the answer to letting the players "run it". Adjusting the rake, to allow for the extra time needed, still lets the players add it to the strategy but without costing the dealers or house anything-very smart.