Author Topic: Who gets the button?  (Read 7662 times)

G Trynor

• TDA Member
Who gets the button?
« on: December 30, 2009, 09:59:40 AM »
In tournament play you have four players left. Players 1 is on the button players 2 small blind and player 3 big blind and player 4 is utg. players 2 & 3 (small & big blind) get knocked out of the tournament. Now we go to heads up play. Where does the button go? Player 4 never having paid the big blind must pay it but that would mean that player 1 would be the button two hands in a row, or does player 4 get the button so that a player is not the button twice in a row? I know what I think I should do but would like to hear some other in put on this.

pokerfish

• TDA Founding Member
  • TDA Member & Veteran Poster
    • cardplayercruises.com
Re: Who gets the button?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 10:22:21 AM »
Player 1 would keep the button. The way you can easily figure out where it goes is to note that no one can get the BB twice in a row but also, no one can miss a BB. Since TDA rules play with a dead button, the button would freeze and 4 would take the BB and 1 would keep the button and post a SB on it.
Hope this helps.
Jan Fisher
Jan Fisher
TDA - Board of Directors
http://www.cardplayercruises.com

Stuart Murray

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 08:22:08 AM »
One thing to remember about button movement which I tell many people who get confused is that it is the big blind that moves around the table - the small and button merely follow it wherever it goes, remember the standard rules - no-one can be bb twice and no-one can miss the BB and you will not go wrong.

Regards
Stuart

LeScribe

• TDA Member & Active Poster
    • BrunoLeScribe
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 08:48:29 AM »
I tell many people who get confused is that it is the big blind that moves around the table

I tell the same thing and use this metaphor : the BB the locomotive, SB and the button are the wagons...  ;D
Bruno
Every player wins at the end of any hand : some win money, other win experience...

Nick C

• http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 07:45:28 AM »
to G Trynor

The situation is best defined by understanding that the button will sometimes move beyond the normal clockwise rotation because no player can have the big blind on consecutive hands. When their are only two players remaining at the table, the small blind will be on the button and they will have the first betting option before the flop.

I do have a question that I would like to present to members, for clarification. The above ruling that I have always used in tournament play, contradicts the TDA Button/Blinds rule #24  Tournament play will use a dead button. Can anyone explain?

Nick C

pokerfish

• TDA Founding Member
    • cardplayercruises.com
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 09:28:06 AM »
Perhaps there is a better way to write the rule about the dead button.... getting to 2 or 3 handed presents a new series of situations and oftentimes, a forward button does ensue.... that doesn't override the use of a dead button but would be, IMO, considered a special circumstance of getting to the final players. We will look into rewording the rule, adding exception I guess, at the next TDA summit.
Thanks,
Jan Fisher
TDA - Board of Directors
http://www.cardplayercruises.com