Author Topic: showing cards at showdown  (Read 9315 times)

W0lfster

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
showing cards at showdown
« on: March 02, 2011, 12:11:42 AM »
Yes! Im the first to post for cash games!!! :D Just want to ask, what is the ruling on showing cards at the showdown, can you show one in a cash game and still win the pot, I know in a tournament you can.

Also can someone please explain the moving button rule, I find it very confusing.
Thx  ;)

Nick C

• http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
Re: showing cards at showdown
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 09:06:48 AM »
Andy,
 If you bet and there are no callers, then I guess if you want to show one card you can. However, if any player calls you must show all of your hole cards. I would insist on this whether cash or tournament. The main concern is that the player is holding the correct number of cards, not just to see his "kicker."
 The moving button rule is explained on another post. See if you can find it. If not, we can go over it again.

chet

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 09:48:54 AM »
Andy:

If you enter "Moving Button" in the search box above you will find a couple posts that explain that subject.

W0lfster

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 02:41:41 PM »
kl kl, thank you. May I ask also in both tournaments and cash games if you are in a hand and you leave the table and request you are really desperate for the toilet will the request be honoured? By this I mean, will the dealer wait and not muck your hand, or muck as soon as you get up?

chet

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 03:16:14 PM »
Cash Game Rules are different than Tournaments, for Cash Game you need to check the local House rules.  There is no "Clock" in a Cash Game, so I suppose if nobody objects you could 'suspend' the hand.  I gave you a link to RROP, version 11 the other day, you can look it up as well as can any of us for specifics.

Tournaments are different.  There is a clock and it would be unfair to suspend play at a single table while other tables continued to play.  Furthermore, TDA Rule 23, "A player must remain at the table if he has a live hand.", requires a player to remain physically present.

Personally, if you were to get up and leave, I would leave your cards at your seat UNTIL it was your turn to act.  If you were not "in your seat", when it is your turn, I would muck your cards and your hand would be dead.  By "in your seat" I mean that you have to be close enough to physically touch the chair, running back and shouting "I'm coming" or something similar doesn't cut it and your hand would be mucked.

W0lfster

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 03:39:54 PM »
Actually you can use a clock in a cash game as shown here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uhc-NMBIKSs

chet

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 09:50:04 PM »
You have got to be kidding me!!  You are watching the Pokerstars.net "The Big Game" and trying to learn proper poker procedures from THAT.  You might as well be watching old reruns of Celebrity Poker and the like.

Andy you would learn more by watching play money cash games and/or tournaments on Pokerstars.net or most ANY other site than you are going to learn by watching this kind of ENTERTAINMENT.  These shows are NOT intended to teach anyone anything about proper poker procedures.   They are intended 100% for entertainment value and to draw new players to the sponsoring site  PERIOD!!

In all my years playing cash poker, I have NEVER seen any one, not even the drunkest player or the most inexperienced, try to call a clock in a cash game.  RRoP, Version 11,  Section 14, Sub. 16 says:

16.   In all no-limit and pot-limit games, the house has the right to place a maximum time limit for taking action on your hand. The clock may be put on someone by the dealer as directed by a floorperson, if a player requests it. If the clock is put on you when you are facing a bet, you will have one additional minute to act on your hand. You will have a ten-second warning, after which your hand is dead if you have not acted.

So it appears it is possible to use a clock in cash games, but again it would have to be specified in the local House Rules.

By the way, Tony G is a very good player, but he is not the stellar example of proper poker etiquette.