Author Topic: Exposing Cards  (Read 10887 times)

Nick C

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
    • http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
Exposing Cards
« on: February 11, 2011, 05:41:49 PM »
I have a suggestion to consider as an addendum for TDA Rule #42 based on the recent question by Andy earlier today. This might be a good way to fix the problem:
The current Rule is:
 TDA Rule #42 EXPOSING CARDS....A player who exposes his cards with action pending may incur a penalty, but will not have a dead hand. The penalty will begin at the end of the hand.

My suggestion:
#42    EXPOSING CARDS..Any player who intentionally exposes their cards with action pending will incur a penalty. They will not have a dead hand, but a penalty will begin with the next deal.
  42.1   In order to protect all players the following rules apply: Non offending players will be offered the option of continued participation; including betting and raising, or they may maintain the status of an all-in player and play for the portion of the pot that existed on the last complete betting round. Exposed cards before a complete round of betting, could allow players to retract their bets and reconsider their action.
  42.2   Exposure of cards by accident may not include a penalty at the discretion of the floor.

I know this will need some work but, I really think that offering the opposing players the option to declare themselves all-in (so to speak) is the best way to protect non offending players.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 06:46:13 PM by Nick C »

chet

Re: Exposing Cards
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 06:44:35 PM »
Nick:

I don't have a clue what you are trying to accomplish with 42.1 - 
How does exposing one's card(s) end up being treated as if that player was 'all-in'?  The only thing that makes sense to my little pea brain is that you are trying to protect the offending player from being bet or raised out of the hand and I don't think that is the way to go.

42.3 - This is already part of existing TDA Rule 40.

Why do the 'non offending' players need protection?  I really don't understand where you are coming from with that statement.

Nick C

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 09:11:05 PM »
Chet,
 You are playing in a game, your opponent is holding Ks Qs. The board is 2s, 7s, 9c.....the turn is the 3s you are holding pocket nines, the other player accidently drops his cards on the table As kc.  The river comes the 4d your opponents hand is now holding the exclusive nut hand. He can see the only card that could have beat his hand, the (Ace of spades). How much do you think that could cost you?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 06:11:55 AM by Nick C »

chet

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 10:17:19 AM »
It isn't going to cost me any more than if I had not seen the exposed cards.  With trip-9's, and three spades on the board, it doesn't matter to me that the As was exposed since my hand is beat by any two hole spades.  I might bet to see where I am, but if I am raised, I am done with the hand. 

Now lets change the situation a bit.  Same hole cards for everyone, same exposed cards, except the river card is the 2d.  How much is that card going to cost the player holding the Ks Qs?  That player now knows he/she has the nut flush, but with a pair on the board, should realize that the nut flush is no longer the NUTS and play accordingly.  If I was the player with the nut flush, I would (or I should) play it exactly as above.  At best I would bet to see where I was and if raised, let the hand go.

As to the amount of the bet, I need to make it enough to get rid of anyone not having a better hand, but yet small enough not to seriously damage my stack. 

Nick C

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 01:21:02 PM »
If I'm in a hand and a player exposes his cards after I've bet, but before the round of betting is complete, I want the option to consider my action. You might not like my example, but you should understand what I'm saying. It opens the door for collusion and the punishment (sitting out a few hands), does not fit the crime.