Author Topic: pokertronic  (Read 17075 times)

megalodonk

• TDA Member
pokertronic
« on: January 08, 2011, 07:47:37 PM »
Has anyone had experience with pokertronic tables? they use radio frequency in the cards and the table to identify players whole cards so there is no need for cameras.

We plan on using those tables for our finals and if anyone has feedback on this I would appreciate it.

chet

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
Re: pokertronic
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 09:46:13 PM »
Let me answer this way:

I can go to Radio Shack and buy EVERTHING I need to sit in my vehicle outside your house and copy EVERY stroke on your keyboard, even if you don't have any type of wireless connection or accessory or anything.

I would no more consider playing in any such event than I would think about playing in a turney where I knew 3 or 4 players were cheating. 

RF stuff is fine for many things, but the possibilities for problems are immense in this instance.

I would certainly want to know what this vendor has IN PLACE to prevent anyone from intercepting the RF signal.  Then I would want to take what they say to someone experienced with RF technology (maybe a university electrical engineering or computer science department) for verification.

Hope this helps!!

chet

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 09:57:49 PM »
The Pokertronic web site says that the maximum 'range' of the signal is about 4 inches or 10 centimeters.  That is fine, except it doesn't say anything about signal security between the antennas in the table and whatever receives that signal, it may be wireless or wired, but it could be a problem that isn't addressed. 

I do see these were used last year in the EPT, but personally I am not convinced with what I have seen and read.

Nick C

• http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 08:42:13 AM »
Hello Megalodonk

I've never heard of it, but don't go by me. I teach poker dealers, so eliminating them would never be appealing to me. Hey Chet, you don't have any of those old x-ray glasses that can see through things, do you?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 07:15:53 AM by Nick C »

chet

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 01:13:29 PM »
YEP!!

Remember, I'm old'ern DIRT!!

megalodonk

• TDA Member
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 03:44:13 PM »

The pokertronic tables do not serve as dealer replacement. On the contrary the dealers, seem to be a very important part of the whole operation as they have to say to a microphone what action is being taken on the table and in regards to a certain amount of chips.

This table only makes sense for featured and final table tv production as it is much easier to keep track of the action.

I am convinced if EPT used it, I was just wondering whether someone had personal experience.

As for cheating with RF... Isn't it the same whether the information is send from the table via RF or as Video from the table cameras. You can intercept both...

Nick C

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 06:37:51 AM »
Megalodonk,
 I said I never heard of it. I don't know anything about it. It sounds to me like you've done your homework and it's something that will work for you. Chet and I are from the "old school" and we are probably over cautious. We have to assume that the game and everyone connected to it are "squeaky clean." If it's affordable, go for it.

Nick C

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 07:17:35 AM »
Megalodonk,
 How did the pokertronic work for you?