Author Topic: Wrong amount of chips in play  (Read 5260 times)

bigstu

• TDA Member
Wrong amount of chips in play
« on: August 26, 2010, 04:03:47 PM »
Playing in a structured horse event ... had to wait a couple of minutes after the start,  last table and short on dealers and bank......

Anyway playing about 40 minutes into the tourney someone comes by to say hello and notices everyone at the table has a 5K chip.

It turns out we started with 10k and the rest of the tourney (139 players) started with 7000.

TD corrected the situation by removing 3000 chips from everyones stack @ the table.....

We thought this was unfair to the short stack who was playing looser then he should because of the size of the stacks.

No one had been knocked out yet... would it have been fairer to give the rest of the players 3000 extra chips?

AleaLeedsCardRoom

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
Re: Wrong amount of chips in play
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 05:06:53 PM »
An interesting problem, another option to investigate could be to remove 1500 from your stacks and add 1500 to everyone elses, as this would have the least affect on the stacks. 

OR

If you look at it mathematically,
3000 from 10000 is 30%
3000 added to 7000 is 42.8%
so te taking 3K is the least harsh option here.

It may even be possible to make the stack even by adding some and taking away while keeping the percentage change as close as possible, to make an even change to both the stacks that start with too much and those that started with the correct amount.

Stuart Murray

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
Re: Wrong amount of chips in play
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 07:52:28 AM »
I'm with Lewis on this one, everyone in the Tournament obviously has to have the same amount of starting stack, one table versus 13 others with 7,000 suggests that I would favour the option of taking 3k off your players from one tables rather than increasing the chips in play by 360,000.

I don't really see an option that everyone is going to be happy with but to quote mr Spock - "The needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few or the one" so taking 3k off 1 table is the lesser of 2 or with Lewis's reply 4 different options.

I'm also starting to rack my brains because if this had been a No Limit or Pot Limit event that would make things even harder as some players may not have 3k to surrender! However presumably your tournament clock would have an initial ships or the event would have an advertised starting stack, so therefore it would be the players at the tables responsibility to point out the error.

Best Regards
Stuart