Author Topic: 2013 TDA Rules  (Read 93341 times)

K-Lo

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
  • @AskTheTD on Twitter
    • Ask the Tournament Director
Re: Here are the Latest TDA Rules...
« Reply #60 on: September 27, 2013, 05:55:21 AM »
Thomas,
  I made the suggestion (to get off the singular pronoun) over two years ago on this Forum. If it really bothers you that much, you should take 10 seconds and fix the singular pronoun references that you have in your own R.O.P.E. before you tackle the TDA Rules.

Ouch!  ;)

Nick C

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
    • http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
Re: Here are the Latest TDA Rules...
« Reply #61 on: September 27, 2013, 07:01:35 AM »
Mike,

It was me...and it was over two years ago. It pertained to a similar situation. If you look back, the TDA introduced a rule that made reference to "her" instead of "him" or "she" instead of "he." In any event, my suggestion was to replace the singular pronoun with the plural, "their"...only when you feel it's appropriate.

This has been a problem for many of the most educated writers...forever! After a little research, I believe that the plural is almost always preferred, especially when repeated over and over again. I think, "he" or "she" or "him" or "her" is easier to read, (and less boring), when used sparingly. Poker rules require constant reference to the actions of players, so replacing the singular is much easier to read, and certainly understandable. Although, it will require a little reconstruction of a sentence. I'm not sure it's quite as easy as Thomas McGee suggested. I will say that Thomas' Book is the best rule set I've ever read, as far as avoiding the singular pronoun use.

I also want to say...when we are not sure of the gender, replacing "he" with "she" will never work.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 02:55:38 PM by Nick C »