Author Topic: Out of turn: player calls/raises an unquantified raise, what's his obligation?  (Read 8071 times)

MikeB

• Administrator
  • TDA Member & Veteran Poster
This subject was the topic of the following thread:
http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?topic=74.0

In this topic the question arises as to what to do when the rightful player declares "raise" (but has not yet declared the amount of the raise), and the next player jumps the gun out of turn and declares either a call or a re-raise. Is the out of turn actor therefore obligated to call any raise amount when the action is backed up to the skipped player (SP)? Or only a min raise?

Nick C

• http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
Mike,
  I read the replies on the thread regarding the headphones. I thought all of the responses were excellent. I am a little confused with your question when you make reference to a skipped player? In the original question, the incident involved Player 7 and Player 8. No skipped player. It would take a considerable twist if a player were skipped in that situation, wouldn't it? In other words Player 7 announces raise and before Player 8 acts, Player 9 says all-in.

Thanks for resurrectiong an old post.
Nick C

MikeB

• Administrator
Mike,
  I read the replies on the thread regarding the headphones. I thought all of the responses were excellent. I am a little confused with your question when you make reference to a skipped player? In the original question, the incident involved Player 7 and Player 8. No skipped player. It would take a considerable twist if a player were skipped in that situation, wouldn't it? In other words Player 7 announces raise and before Player 8 acts, Player 9 says all-in.

Thanks for resurrectiong an old post.
Nick C
In this instance the "skipped player" is player 7 who has declared a raise, but not an amount, and while contemplating the amount, the out-of-turn player 8 declares "call".
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 11:06:22 PM by MikeB »

Nick C

• http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
Hello Mike,

I really think that the problem of headphones, combined with player 7 pushing the call into the pot, while contemplating the amount of the raise is the problem. What happened to pushing the full amount into the pot? I don't know where that rule came from (putting the call in first and then the raise later....stringy). If we are to follow the rules, then the dealer acted properly and stopped the action in time, therefor Player 8 had every right to retract his bet or raise. If Player 7 pushed his complete raise into the pot, we wouldn't be having this discussion. I read that thread again, and I still see Player 8 raising, thinking that Player 7 just called.

That's how I see it.
Nick C

Stuart Murray

I like the WSOP rule that any chips placed into the pot must stay in upto the amount so if for example at blinds of 100/200 someone calls 200 not realising the total bet is now 600 the 200 must stay in.  The TDA allow removal of that bet, so by the book at the moment we can allow the player to 'retract and reconsider' I like making something stay in as a penalty so for example making the player have to leave at least a min raise in your case would prove prudent I believe.

Stuart