Author Topic: Clarifying Rule #34 - Button in Heads-Up  (Read 9369 times)

BillM16

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
Clarifying Rule #34 - Button in Heads-Up
« on: May 02, 2018, 06:32:53 AM »
See the following Forum Topic:
going from 3 players to two (why is player paying SB two times in a row?)

The current 2017 rule is:

34:  Button in Heads-up
Heads-up, the small blind is the button, is dealt the last card, and acts first pre-flop and last on all other betting rounds. Starting heads-up play, the button may need to be adjusted to ensure no player has the big blind twice in a row.

One suggestion is:

34:  Button in Heads-up

Beginning heads-up play, the player who paid the BB most recently becomes the button and SB.  The opponent is BB.  The first card is dealt to the BB and the second to the button.  The button acts first pre-flop, and acts last post-flop.

One problem with the current wording is that the button is sometimes adjusted even though a heads-up player would not be paying the BB twice in a row.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 07:08:32 AM by BillM16 »

Dave Miller

• Lead dealer / rules guru for World Free Poker
    • Dave MIller Gaming
Re: Clarifying Rule #34 - Button in Heads-Up
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 11:22:25 AM »
Ok, except you got this part backwards:
The first card is dealt to the button and the second to the BB.
Superstitions are silly, childish, irrational rituals, born out of fear of the unknown.
But how much does it cost to knock on wood?

Nick C

• http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 07:24:28 PM »
Bill,

Why don't you continue this conversation where it was started? I also agree with Dave. Why would you deal to the button first?

I'll move my last response from the original post to this one. I'd like some feedback on my simple answer...Thanks.

Alice Button...Bob SB...Carol BB...If either Alice or Bob gets eliminated the Button goes to Carol. If Carol gets eliminated the Button will advance to Bob. It does give Bob the SB twice but Alice would have been the BB on the next hand if Carol were not eliminated. I could be wrong but I think it's that simple.

GreggPath

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2018, 11:29:56 AM »
Why don't you continue this conversation where it was started? I also agree with Dave. Why would you deal to the button first?

Not to speak for Bill, but I think he was moving the discussion to this forum since we're actually talking about changing a rule (which this is the appropriate forum for).

Alice Button...Bob SB...Carol BB...If either Alice or Bob gets eliminated the Button goes to Carol. If Carol gets eliminated the Button will advance to Bob. It does give Bob the SB twice but Alice would have been the BB on the next hand if Carol were not eliminated. I could be wrong but I think it's that simple.

I believe that is all true and yes, that simple. That's why I suggested simplifying the rule to just say the button moves to the player who most recently was BB.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 10:57:39 AM by GreggPath »

Nick C

• http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2018, 02:35:28 PM »
Gregg,

Always good to hear from you. I like the idea that a change is being considered. I just felt that we had a rhythm going on the other thread and I didn't want any prior replies to get lost, so to speak.

I've been battling for about seven years on some of the raise rules and they remain unchanged. Not sure what more I can do. There are probably twenty-five different revisits addressing the same problem...re-opening betting. Each link is rehashed at great lengths, sometimes to the extent that they are "locked-out." The next Summit comes and goes and that issue remains.

BillM16

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2018, 07:09:46 AM »
Ok, except you got this part backwards:
The first card is dealt to the button and the second to the BB.

Ooopps, thanks Dave.  My intent was to simply change the wording so as to identify the first card dealt, first, before stating the last card. And, of course, I screwed that up in the process. ::) I've corrected the OP.

Not to speak for Dave, but I think he was moving the discussion to this forum since we're actually talking about changing a rule (which this is the appropriate forum for).
IMO, now that Dave has identified the error in the above Suggestion, and I have corrected it, the rest of this conversation belongs in the Discussion Forum topic: http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?topic=1471.0.  This Forum is for Suggestions not Discussions.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 07:32:20 AM by BillM16 »