Author Topic: Player seated at wrong table  (Read 3305 times)

StianFrost14

• TDA Member
Player seated at wrong table
« on: April 20, 2018, 10:13:13 AM »
Had a situation a while ago that really worked out fine, but made me think about different scenarios that could come up and cause a problem. What happened was a player sat down at the wrong table after a break. None of the players noticed, and the dealer obviously didn’t know as it had just been a push. On the turn, while he is al in, the player who actually had the seat returned, I was called and we just cancelled the hand, which I assume is the only proper thing to do(?). But the question is, what is the right thing to do if the player didn’t return, and he busted the other player? What if the other player busted him, proceeded to but another player on the table who originally had him covered? And any other scenarios that might occur. I might also add that this player is known for causing trouble for the sake of causing trouble, but sadly he’s too rich and too much of a fish to ban him, all the other players would just follow him and we’ll go bankrupt 🤮

BillM16

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
Re: Player seated at wrong table
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 08:11:39 AM »
Hello Stian,

TDA Rule #2 Player Responsibilities says that the player is responsible for verifying their seat assignment. 

But the question is, what is the right thing to do if the player didn’t return, and he busted the other player? What if the other player busted him, proceeded to but another player on the table who originally had him covered? And any other scenarios that might occur.

Your question is very broad, so I will provide a very broad response.  The player in the wrong would be penalized, up to and including disqualification - especially given the player's history.  The TD should attempt to correct the impact upon innocent players, within reason.  Note, the absent player is not completely innocent as he too had responsibilities to protect his hand and remain at the table with a live hand.

Obviously, it is impossible for the TDA to provide written rules for all other scenarios that might occur. That is, in part, why TDA Rule #1 exists
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 08:40:23 AM by BillM16 »

Nick C

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
    • http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
Re: Player seated at wrong table
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 04:08:36 PM »
StianFrost,

See if this old post from years ago helps.

http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?topic=125.0