LIVE CASH GAME POKER RULES DISCUSSION > Live Cash Game Rules Questions

Rake on split pots and side pots together

(1/1)

Luca P.:
Hi All, I had this situation on a cash game £1/1 with rake 5% capped at £5 (max pot is £100 then)
At the showdown, we have a main pot (£60) and a side pot (£50)
Main pot is split, while side pot is won entirely by a player (who split the main obv and wins £80).
Our house rules dictate that we do not rake split pots, but now the question is: would you rake the side pot that was not split?
If yes, how much would you take, considering the cap at £5 for pots over £100?
My dealer decided to rake the side pot for £2 because, should he take rake from the main as well, it would be capped to £5.

Dave Miller:
No rake from split pots? That’s a great, player friendly rule. 5% is also very player friendly. That considered, I think the dealer did the right thing.

Had the main pot not been split, only £3 would be raked from it, so only the remaining £2 can be raked from the side.

You cannot take the full rake from the side. After all, suppose the main split pot was £78, and £3 on the side. What then? I’d say take £1 from the side. Either that or no rake at all.

Nick C:
Hi, Luca

I agree with Dave. I have seen conflicting rules pertaining to raking side pots, but they were too complicated and often seemed to be far too harsh on the winner of a meager side pot.  I have run cash games years ago with a 5% rake with a $5 max(long ago).

First I'd like to make mention that you seem to indicate that you are raking the pots at the end of the betting. This is a mistake that could be easily erased if you followed dealer protocol for cash games...that is to take the rake at specific intervals. i,e, first $1 taken at 20...the second at 40...the third at 60...etc. If the main pot has $55 ($2 rake) and the side pot has $6 I would never consider taking a $1 from the side pot even though it brings the total of the combined pots over $60. You might want to grab it though if the main pot winner gets it all! ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version