POKER TOURNAMENT RULES QUESTIONS & DISCUSSIONS > Poker TDA Rules & Procedures Questions, General

Button ante Tournament

<< < (2/5) > >>

Dave Miller:
As I understand it, a button ante is designed to speed things up by having only one person pay the ante for the whole table. I dislike that rule for a couple reasons:

1 - What if the SB busts out. Is the button forced to pay the ante twice?
2 - If the button is short stacked to not have enough to pay, the winner of the hand is cheated out of a full pot.

Ignoring those issues, the easiest way to think about the scenario presented is to think how it sould be handled in a standard ante game. In other words, a player with insufficient chips to cover the ante, is entitled to a portion of each player's ante. I.E. A main pot and side pot is created similarly to any scenario where a short stacked calls all-in for less.

So if the button has exactly the right amount for just the button ante, that's exactly how much he can win.

If he has less, then insufficient antes are collected, but that's still how much he can win.

If you're in middle position, and your stack is less than the amount of the button ante, that shouldn't exclude you from winning the ante. After all, the button ante is the pot before the cards are dealt. You can now call / bet for whatever you have and be treaded like any other short stack bet.

The notion that any player with chips can be eliminated by virtue of being a short stack, is wrong. I.E. If you have at least one chip, you get dealt in and are entitled to play for a small pot while the other players play on the side.

Nick C:
Dave,

The example #1 regarding the sb busting out creates a dead button on the next hand. There will be no ante on the dead button hand.
Likewise, #2 When the button goes all-in with less than the correct ante amount...I guess your analogy fits: "the winner of the hand is cheated out of a full pot."

The Riddler:
Thanks everybody for the answers

My opinion to ante button game: the game is speeded up and we have action in the tournament but just whit shotclock.
The point is at the moent there are just 3 rules for button ante tournament and the rules and decisions are not like always.
one question is if becouse of the big amount( bb or sb) the ante is an ante or 3d blind?
Maybe it would be bether for the bb to pay ante, so we have ante in every hand.
but at the end we have many problems whit button ante like 13 or 11 players at the last to tables, the one table is paying bb the other just sb. then shot stacks

Thanks once again for your kindness

Nick C:
Hello Riddler,

I think it would be best if you consider the ante to never be a third blind. A blind is a bet...an ante is not. Remember this: the button must still call the BB or any bets he may face, this is in addition to the ante.

An ante is a predetermined amount that precedes the deal. In normal ante games, players must ante in order to receive a hand. The button ante eliminates the individual ante from each player. The button ante is believed to speed up the game allowing for more hands to be dealt per hour.

Not sure how scientific this information is but I'm sure there are many disadvantages to the "new" Button Ante games that we will soon be hearing about! ;D

Dave Miller:
Nick -

I forgot that the dead button wouldn’t pay antes.

But that further proves my point about the next pot being short. After all, that scenario would happen far more often than my example.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version