Author Topic: TDA V3 Rule 38  (Read 5726 times)

Terence Bertault

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
TDA V3 Rule 38
« on: November 02, 2017, 08:11:44 PM »
Hi guys,

I'm looking the V3 just before finishing the translation & architecture ...

Are you sure that the rule 38 of V3 is easy to understand in english ?? lol

When I have started to translate the V2, it was impossible to translate this rule ...

It doesn't seem very clear presented like that.

Like that, the translation doesn t mean anything ... I swear ... ahah ... You can t translate word by word or the idea of each sentence.

But thanks to the Addendum I have understood it very clearly ... I have fixed it on my translation but just want to tell you ...  :)

Maybe it's clear in pure english but at first I was asking myself for what kind of game is it ...  loool

Maybe it will be better if you write it a new time ... I don't know ... but you have to keep in mind that there's no translation for all languages so you have to be the clearest as possible in english ...

Friendly regards guys !

:)

MikeB

• Administrator
Re: TDA V3 Rule 38
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 09:01:36 PM »
Hi Terence:
Interesting question. Rule 38 is new in 2017. In English it's easy to understand in it's entirety, but perhaps not as much if you read word for word or sentence by sentence.

Title: Very important, this rule applies to how to handle burn cards after substantial action has occurred.

Key function: is the last sentence: "The stub is treated as a normal stub and one and only one card is burned off the stub for each subsequent street" i.e. you don't burn no cards, or two cards, or some other number in order to "preserve the original card order". Perhaps the word "original" would help in understanding?

As you point out, the Illustration Addendum clarifies it, and especially for newly-introduced rules it's very beneficial to have these examples!

Regardless, please feel free to write it in any terms that translate well functionally into French. We can always re-visit the language in 2019!

Terence Bertault

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 11:35:32 PM »
Here's my point of view :

Rule 38:  Burns After Substantial Action
-> Title is not clear
Maybe something like " wrong number of cards in player hand after SA / Burns Management " ...
Hope you understand my idea behind my poor english ...

The burn card is to protect the stub, not “preserve card order”.
-> For me, there s a lot of possible missunderstanding with this first sentence.
Why please a burn card protect the stub ?
Maybe you can explain me the idea behind this sentence ?
Is this philosophy ?? ahah

If SA occurs and a hand is killed due to the wrong number of cards, all cards of the killed hand are mucked ....
-> No problem here

... and randomness applies to further dealing.
-> I think you don t have to put this sentence ... "randomness" ??
I have got to check in several dictionnaries but I think the meaning of this word can create others interrogations and disturb a TD on the application of this rule.

The stub is treated as a normal stub and one and only one card is burned off the stub for each subsequent street.
-> Best sentence of this rule but with a not clear beginning strangers are lost ... ^^

I will check the spanish translation soon; just to know how our friend has translated that.

I have seen already two french translations of V2 ... and in the two they have missed it.

BillM16

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 07:11:44 AM »
Here is one wording proposal:

Rule 38: Burning Cards

Dealers use burn cards to protect the integrity of the stub.  Burn cards should not be used to adjust the order of cards dealt following a misdeal discovered after substantial action has occurred.   See TDA Rules: #35-D and #36

When a misdeal is discovered after substantial action occurs, the play of the hand must continue and cannot be re-dealt to correct the misdeal. The dealer must kill the misdealt player’s hand before continuing the hand with the remaining players. The remaining stub is random and is ruled to be in correct order under these circumstances. The dealer will not deal fewer or additional burn cards in an attempt to adjust the order of the cards to be dealt considering prior misdealt cards.

Best regards,
B~
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 07:18:04 AM by BillM16 »

Terence Bertault

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2017, 04:58:45 PM »
Hi guys,

It's better for strangers I think, it's clearer ...

Friendly regards.

:)

MikeB

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2017, 08:20:01 PM »
Here's my point of view :

If SA occurs and a hand is killed due to the wrong number of cards, all cards of the killed hand are mucked ....The stub is treated as a normal stub and one and only one card is burned off the stub for each subsequent street. See Illustration Addendum.
-> No problem here

Terence: the above is the operational essence of the rule, so if you only included that, plus a link to the Addendum, you'd really have everything.

You do raise an interesting question regarding "randomness".  In English-speaking poker this is a very common term. It's used anytime you deviate from the original order of cards... for example if the stub is accidentally scrambled and you can't recreate the order, well you shuffle and cut it and proceed with a new order of cards. "Randomness" means that all players are affected equally. Also known as "the law of randomness".

Not that you have to include that in your translation.

Terence Bertault

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2017, 08:00:43 PM »
Hi Mike,

I ve put the strict sense of the rule in my translation.

Randomness = Random = Aleatory ?
Am I right ?

In french we use the word " Aleatory " / " Aléatoire "

I just wanted to say that it's very very obvious that it s randomness so I don't understant why you have to write it.
That was just my point of view or questioning about that !

I will check a new time my translation to be sure.

;)