Author Topic: Deck with 2 same cards?  (Read 7152 times)

pastor

• TDA Member & Active Poster
Deck with 2 same cards?
« on: September 20, 2017, 01:37:48 PM »
Is there any recommendation (experience) how to proceede when we found 2 same cards during the hand? I mean pre flop (player with 2 same cards), post plop, All-in... & we don't know what is going on? 53 deck or 52 without one color card?

Nick C

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
    • http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
Re: Deck with 2 same cards?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 02:25:01 PM »
Pastor, If any player is in possession of two identical cards, or has knowledge of two "like" cards, he can not win the pot. i.e. two aces of spades in hand, or one ace of spades in hand and another on the board. There are many situations where no players are aware of two like cards in the deck. If and when the extra card is discovered I would say that all chips would be returned to all players involved in the current hand.

I'll look through some of the rule sets and find a more definitive answer.

Dave Miller

• Lead dealer / rules guru for World Free Poker
    • Dave MIller Gaming
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 05:18:27 PM »
I seem to recall that this scenario happened on the first hand of the WSOP Main Event several years ago. Don't know any additional details...
Superstitions are silly, childish, irrational rituals, born out of fear of the unknown.
But how much does it cost to knock on wood?

Nick C

• http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 08:29:43 PM »
Found this in Robert's Rules under Irregularities:
#4.    If two cards of the same rank and suit are found, all action is void, and all chips in the pot are returned to the players who wagered them (subject to next rule).

#5.    A player who knows the deck is defective has an obligation to point this out. If such a player instead tries to win a pot by taking aggressive action (trying for a freeroll), the player may lose the right to a refund, and the chips may be required to stay in the pot for the next deal.