Author Topic: H-U, one player raises then tries to discard B4 other acts. How to handle?  (Read 3933 times)

Boris

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
  • International Poker dealer (EU)
Hello folks,

I had this case idea :

We are on the river
Players have exactly the same stack
500/1K/100
Pot is 20K
Player A bets 9K
Player B, after a long think, raises to 22K
Player A instantly goes All-in for 70K
Player B stands up in a hurry, turning his back to the table, make a few steps mumbling is his beard and gets back to his seat
Player A give his cards back to the dealer and claims the pot

Dealer does not take Player A's cards and calls the floor.

How would you handle it ? =)

« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 02:52:32 PM by MikeB »

MikeB

• Administrator
Re: An imaginery case for Summer Camp =)
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 01:35:57 PM »
Rule 15-B of 2017 Rules Version 2.0 applies IMO.

Player B's actions are not sufficient to constitute a fold, so Player A erroneously discards "thinking he won". The dealer has protected A's cards, they should be returned to A and action is on B.

Max D

I agree with Mike, it doesn't sound like a fold from B.  Also you state "Player A give his cards back to the dealer and claims the pot" but it sounds like player A "claims the pot" but Dealer doesn't release the pot or muck player A's hand clearly showing that the hand is not completed and action is on player B.

Max
Max D
Less talking, more dealing.

Boris

• International Poker dealer (EU)
I was expecting that kind of answer, thats why I left the door opened with the dealer not taking the cards.

Now, when floor comes Player A calls for Rule 31, explaining Player B left the table during the hand.

31:At the Table with Action Pending
Players with live hands(including players all-in or otherwise finished betting)must remain at the table for all betting rounds and showdown. Leaving the table is incompatible with protecting your hand and followingtheaction, and is subject to penalty

Alternate situation : Dealer mucks Player A's cards.

MikeB

• Administrator
Now, when floor comes Player A calls for Rule 31, explaining Player B left the table during the hand.

Thanks for exploring all the possibilities here Boris. Re Rule 31 note: 1) It doesn't state that the player leaving his/her seat has a dead hand; 2) BUT it does say it's incompatible with protecting your hand, i.e. it puts Player B at some risk because he's not there protecting his hand. 

Bottom line, the house isn't going to kill B's hand based on the OP facts and Rule 31.

Alternate situation : Dealer mucks Player A's cards.

This will occur a fair amount of the time. The dealer should not muck Player A's cards here (per 15-B), however if the dealer does muck the hand Player A has only himself to blame. His uncalled bet would be returned and the called amount in the pot would be awarded to B.

Max D

With Rule 31 the floor could penalize or warn the player to stay at the table when in a live hand...  Also I would also argue that turning your back to the table is not really leaving...  remember the whole discussion about player needing to be at their seat during the original deal, and if I remember accurately the definition of "at the table" was within reach of the chair...
Max D
Less talking, more dealing.