POKER TOURNAMENT RULES QUESTIONS & DISCUSSIONS > Poker TDA Rules & Procedures Questions, General

H-U, one player raises then tries to discard B4 other acts. How to handle?

(1/2) > >>

Boris:
Hello folks,

I had this case idea :

We are on the river
Players have exactly the same stack
500/1K/100
Pot is 20K
Player A bets 9K
Player B, after a long think, raises to 22K
Player A instantly goes All-in for 70K
Player B stands up in a hurry, turning his back to the table, make a few steps mumbling is his beard and gets back to his seat
Player A give his cards back to the dealer and claims the pot

Dealer does not take Player A's cards and calls the floor.

How would you handle it ? =)

MikeB:
Rule 15-B of 2017 Rules Version 2.0 applies IMO.

Player B's actions are not sufficient to constitute a fold, so Player A erroneously discards "thinking he won". The dealer has protected A's cards, they should be returned to A and action is on B.

Max D:
I agree with Mike, it doesn't sound like a fold from B.  Also you state "Player A give his cards back to the dealer and claims the pot" but it sounds like player A "claims the pot" but Dealer doesn't release the pot or muck player A's hand clearly showing that the hand is not completed and action is on player B.

Max

Boris:
I was expecting that kind of answer, thats why I left the door opened with the dealer not taking the cards.

Now, when floor comes Player A calls for Rule 31, explaining Player B left the table during the hand.

--- Quote ---31:At the Table with Action Pending
Players with live hands(including players all-in or otherwise finished betting)must remain at the table for all betting rounds and showdown. Leaving the table is incompatible with protecting your hand and followingtheaction, and is subject to penalty
--- End quote ---

Alternate situation : Dealer mucks Player A's cards.

MikeB:

--- Quote from: Boris Mauboussin on August 22, 2017, 04:41:04 PM ---Now, when floor comes Player A calls for Rule 31, explaining Player B left the table during the hand.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for exploring all the possibilities here Boris. Re Rule 31 note: 1) It doesn't state that the player leaving his/her seat has a dead hand; 2) BUT it does say it's incompatible with protecting your hand, i.e. it puts Player B at some risk because he's not there protecting his hand. 

Bottom line, the house isn't going to kill B's hand based on the OP facts and Rule 31.

--- Quote from: Boris Mauboussin on August 22, 2017, 04:41:04 PM ---Alternate situation : Dealer mucks Player A's cards.

--- End quote ---

This will occur a fair amount of the time. The dealer should not muck Player A's cards here (per 15-B), however if the dealer does muck the hand Player A has only himself to blame. His uncalled bet would be returned and the called amount in the pot would be awarded to B.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version