Author Topic: Suggestions on Rule #31 Dead Button  (Read 4224 times)

BillM16

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
Suggestions on Rule #31 Dead Button
« on: April 19, 2017, 04:05:42 PM »
In preparation for the upcoming Summit, I'd like to discuss changes to the Dead Button rule which current is:

31: Dead Button
Tournament play will use a dead button

OK, I agree. But, I find this rule somewhat lacking for players and others who might not know the definition of a Dead Button.  I think it is important that novice players, etc., have adequate information to understand the TDA Rules.  I also think it important to be concise.  Here are some suggestions on text that could be added to the rule and to the illustrations.

Proposed 31: Dead Button Rule

Tournaments will use a Dead Button.  The primary principle of the Dead-Button rule is: As players leave the tournament the BB moves to the next seat occupied by a live player.  The BB never moves into an empty seat.  After the BB seat is correctly determined, the SB and Button are positioned accordingly and they may occupy an empty (dead) seat. Thus, the Dead Button Rule.

Proposed Illustrations:

Here are the staring seats for each of the following scenarios:

Alice is the Button, Bob is the SB, Carol is the BB, David is UTG, and Eric is in the Cutoff.

Example 1: 

David busts out.  So, the BB skips David’s empty seat and Eric becomes the BB.  Carol is now SB and Bob is now the Button.

Example 2: 

Carol busts out.  So, the BB moves to David. The SB is moved to the empty seat vacated by Carol and Bob is now the Button.  The hand is played with a single blind - the big blind.

Example 3:

Bob busts out.  So, the BB moves to David, the SB moves to Carol and the Button moves to the empty seat vacated by Bob.  Consequently, Alice gets to act last for two hands in a row.

Example 4:

Both, Bob and Carol bust out.  The BB moves to David.  The SB moves to Carol’s empty seat and the Button moves to Bob’s empty seat.  On the next hand, the BB moves to Eric, the SB moves to David, and the Button moves to Carol’s empty seat.  Consequently, Alice gets to act last for three hands in a row.

Regards,
~Bill
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 05:46:56 PM by BillM16 »

Nick C

• http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
Re: Suggestions on Rule #31 Dead Button
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 06:05:09 PM »
Very nice, Bill,

I'd like to see you add terminology such as: Example 4:

Both, Bob and Carol bust out.  The BB moves to David.  The SB moves to Carol’s empty seat(dead small) and the Button moves to Bob’s empty seat (dead button).  On the next hand, the BB moves to Eric, the SB moves to David, and the Button moves to Carol’s empty seat (dead button).  Consequently, Alice gets to act last for three hands in a row.

I do like your examples.

BROOKS

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 09:21:13 PM »
I like the addition of "dead small/button" to the examples.
However I think a bit more clarification is needed

After the BB seat is correctly determined, the SB and Button are positioned accordingly and they may occupy an empty (dead) seat from which a player had just busted (or a nicer way of saying that)

Because the way it is written it sounds like any empty seat can become a dead position. When you're playing 8 handed and there is an open seat between puck and blinds, or between sb and bb.
So mentioning something about the Sb always goes wherever  the bb was, and puck  always goes wherever the Sb was last hand

Dave Miller

• Lead dealer / rules guru for World Free Poker
    • Dave MIller Gaming
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 06:01:18 AM »
... from which a player had just busted (or a nicer way of saying that)
Change 'busted' to 'been elimated'.
Superstitions are silly, childish, irrational rituals, born out of fear of the unknown.
But how much does it cost to knock on wood?

BROOKS

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2017, 02:44:20 AM »
... from which a player had just busted (or a nicer way of saying that)
Change 'busted' to 'been elimated'.

Yes thank you! I knew I didn't like "busted" but went blank on an alternative lol