Author Topic: Non All-In Showdown  (Read 5057 times)

Frank11

• TDA Member & Active Poster
Non All-In Showdown
« on: February 23, 2017, 01:35:34 PM »
Okay guys and gals, here goes:

NLH small buy-in tournament, many recreational players. Three players on-the-turn. Player A bets. Player B calls. Player C calls--then immediately leaves the table. The dealer puts out the river card. Player A folds. Player B folds. Player C is nowhere in sight. What happens to the pot?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 05:04:06 PM by Frank11 »

GreggPath

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
Re: Non All-In Showdown
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 02:13:34 PM »
Well, this would fall under the following rules:

2: Player Responsibilities
Players should verify registration data and seat assignments, protect their hands, make their intentions
clear, follow the action, act in turn, defend their right to act, keep cards visible and chips correctly
stacked, remain at the table with a live hand, speak up if they see a mistake, call for a clock when
warranted, transfer tables promptly, follow one player to a hand, know and comply with the rules,
practice proper etiquette, and generally contribute to an orderly event.

30: At the Table with Action Pending
Players with live hands (including players all-in or otherwise finished betting) must remain at the table
until the showdown concludes. Leaving the table is incompatible with protecting your hand and
following the action, and is subject to penalty.

So, first and foremost, it's a penalty for the player who left the table. Since the rule doesn't answer your specific question, my gut reaction would be to kill the player's hand when he leaves the table.

Nick C

• http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 02:42:16 PM »
Frank,

I've always had a problem with players that fold without facing a bet. In your question, after the river card is tabled both players A and B fold. Why not check? I could easily make a case for chip dumping to player C. You said Player C left the table. How far did he go? Did he leave the room?

Very strange.

BillM16

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 03:37:59 PM »
Hey Frank,

Is this an organized event or a home game?  I'm guessing the latter as this would rarely occur in a larger event.  I'd give the chips to the last player with a live hand.  Then I'd encourage my friends to play by the rules for a better game.

Regards,
B~

Dave Miller

• Lead dealer / rules guru for World Free Poker
    • Dave MIller Gaming
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 01:39:29 PM »
Ditto what Bill said.

Player B was the last player at the table holding live cards. He gets the pot, even though he mucked before the pot was shoved.
Superstitions are silly, childish, irrational rituals, born out of fear of the unknown.
But how much does it cost to knock on wood?

Frank11

• TDA Member & Active Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2017, 04:56:34 PM »
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the feedback. Admittedly, a very bizarre situation. Small buy-in tournament, many inexperienced players. With all hands technically mucked and or dead, and the small possibility of chip dumping I considered simply removing the pots' chips from play, as you would when someone is DQ'D. But, in the interest of fairness, what do you think about splitting the pot among the three remaining players and then giving all involved a verbal warning about proper play with official penalties for future infractions? Once again, thanks for the feedback.

P.S. #1: To GreggPath--I wanted to know what happens to the pot?
P.S.: #2 : To Nick C--Player C returned a few hands later.
P.S.: #3: To BillM16--Organized event.
P.S.: # 4--To Dave Miller--I love your "superstitions quote".  :)

Nick C

• http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2017, 06:26:24 PM »
Frank,

I like your idea of splitting the pot rather than removing the chips from play along with your verbal warning. :)