LIVE CASH GAME POKER RULES DISCUSSION > Live Cash Game Rules Questions

straddle

(1/3) > >>

BROOKS:
With live straddles being allowed, would you let someone straddle, if the straddle amount puts them all in?

example, 10/20 limit game, blinds are 5/10 and the UTG starts the hand with 20. Would you let him straddle and be all in for 20, or would you consider this just a blind raise, since he doesnt have an option to raise? In limit, it makes a difference whether its a straddle or just a blind raise, because a straddle would allow that betting round to go 5 bets. If it were just a blind raise and not a straddle, it would just be a regular betting round with 4 bets.

Also, was hearing from some players, that they were aware of a rule that you cannot straddle unless you start the hand with at least 5 bets. Using the same example as above 10/20 limit game, they are saying a player must have at least 50 behind to straddle to 20 UTG. Doesnt seem right to me, if a player starts the hand with 30 or 40, why cant they straddle to 20? Ive never heard of this, and wondering if anyone else has heard of this being implemented anywhere?

thank you

Uniden32:
I treat this as an "All-in" blind or Blind raise, as opposed to a straddle.

Dave Miller:
I tend to agree.

Short stack under the gun frequently go all in blind. The fact that it happens to be the same value as a straddle bet is coincidental but irrelevant.

Nick C:
I'm not sure I agree. Why not allow the all-in to straddle? The important factor, in my opinion is that the straddle is blind. That's what separates the live straddle from a blind raise. My short answer is allow the straddle as long as the all-in amount is the 100% required to straddle. I'm not in favor of only allowing a raise if that player can stand to be reraised. Besides, how can we tell that player that he's not allowed to get maximum chips into the pot if he chooses?

Dave Miller:

--- Quote from: Nick C on January 27, 2017, 03:26:25 PM ---I'm not sure I agree. Why not allow the all-in to straddle? The important factor, in my opinion is that the straddle is blind. That's what separates the live straddle from a blind raise.
--- End quote ---
A blind raise is also blind. The difference is that the straddler then gets an option to re-raise and has last action pre-flop. Clearly, this doesn't apply to an all-in player.

--- Quote from: Nick C on January 27, 2017, 03:26:25 PM ---I'm not in favor of only allowing a raise if that player can stand to be reraised.
--- End quote ---
If he's all-in, what difference is it if there is a re-raise or not?

--- Quote from: Nick C on January 27, 2017, 03:26:25 PM ---Besides, how can we tell that player that he's not allowed to get maximum chips into the pot if he chooses?
--- End quote ---
You totally lost me on that one. He's all-in.

Everything that makes a straddle different from a blind raise does not apply since the player is all-in. The only remaining difference is the number of re-raises allowed, which also doesn't affect the all-in player.

Bottom line, unless the player still has at leat one chip behind, I would rule it a blind raise, not a straddle.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version