POKER TOURNAMENT RULES QUESTIONS & DISCUSSIONS > Suggestions for New TDA rules and amendments to existing rules READ-ONLY ARCHIVES Pre 2017 Summit

Player "calls" a check to him: how to handle?

<< < (2/2)

Gabriel Diaz Siqueira:
I would rule as a check. Here's why:

* First of, the players must pay attention to the action developing.
* Second, the act of saying "call" has a nature of passive action, as opposing from a "bet/raise" declaration.
* Third, if the player had the action back, he/she might choose to make the bet of 100, thus changing the nature of the action, from passive to aggressive.
* The act of tossing the chip after the statement is just a logical consequence of a call, which is paying the previous bet. Therefore, I don't think it counts as a legitimate action, just a strict consequence.

Nick C:
Welcome Gabriel,

Don't agree but you can defend your decision with a thought out answer. Whatever you decide, try your best to remain consistent.

Gabriel Diaz Siqueira:

--- Quote from: Nick C on June 16, 2017, 01:32:54 PM ---Welcome Gabriel,

Don't agree but you can defend your decision with a thought out answer. Whatever you decide, try your best to remain consistent.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for the Welcome.

BTW, I'm also curious about the floor ruling in the case. Hoping Mike remembers to post it for us.

MikeB:
Embarrassed to say I can't recall the ruling with certainty but I think he ruled it undefined and allowed the player to declare a proper action. I also prefer ruling this a check because there was a reasonable delay between the verbal declaration and putting out the 100.

Nick C:
Mike,

I'm sure you'll agree that the unknown information, (like the time delay between saying call and tossing in the bet) is what can make the proper call more difficult. There are many times when the TD has his eyes on the action... but there are far more times when the TD's need to rely on the testimony of the dealer and players before making a decision. Kind of like sorting out the proper amount of a wager when the bettor specifies a different amount from what he tossed into the pot! Which happened first? The verbal... or the chips hitting the cloth! ::)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version