Author Topic: Single player on table  (Read 7003 times)

Guillaume Gleize

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
Single player on table
« on: January 11, 2017, 05:54:02 PM »
Hello,

What if after a break on a shootout table with 4 players left, two are late and one is eliminated so there is only one player left at the table (two are still late)?

The dealer keep on dealing in a "normal" speed and the single player raising and stealing all the blinds that way?

Your answer will help me to find a solution in my SELF DEALING tourneys including shootout side events were this happened ... And because no dealer: I didn't want the single player to deal "very quickly" many hands nor I wanted the late players (with bigger stacks) to let the time raise the blinds against the short stack player alone at the table ...

GG 
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 05:55:31 PM by Guillaume Gleize »

BillM16

Re: Single player on table
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 07:28:00 AM »
Good morning GG,

My recommendation is to solve the problem with a custom single player rule for your situation.  For example:  During the shootout, if only one player is present while all others are absent from the table, the button will move and the blinds posted at a rate of one hand per minute and the remaining player will be declared the winner.

Regards,
B~

Guillaume Gleize

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 07:46:05 AM »
Hello Bill & TY for the answer!

I was actually thinking about this solution with my floors: 1BB+1SB per minute per late player given to the present player.

:)

Dave Miller

• Lead dealer / rules guru for World Free Poker
    • Dave MIller Gaming
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 11:32:18 AM »
...single player raising and stealing...
Actually, there's no need to raise. Regardless of position, if all other players are missing, their hands are automatically killed, so the pot goes to the one player at the table with live cards, even without bothering to push chips forward.

I think Bill's 1 minute per hand is much too long. Consider that during normal 3 handed play, unless someone goes into the tank, if it goes all the way to a river showdown, the hand will take about a minute.

Similarly, your 1BB+1SB per minute solution is too fast. You gotta remember that we're talking about THREE hands - don't forget the third hand per orbit where the player is the button. So you're suggesting 20 seconds.

Consider a hand where all 3 players are present, but get garbage. I'm guessing 30 seconds is about an average duration. After all, how long does it take a dealer to wash, gather, square, shuffle and deal 2 cards to 3 people? 20 seconds? Add a few seconds for those players to look and fold, and you're looking at 30 seconds per hand.

For these reasons, I suggest taking the blinds and moving the button every 30 seconds - without need to actually shuffle and deal.

On a side note, suppose the one player seated is short-stacked, with less than one SB. Does the BB get the side pot, or do both blinds keep their excess? Since both blind hands are dead, I'm thinking the BB should not earn the excess from from the SB, but is there a TDA rule for this?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 11:39:33 AM by Dave Miller »
Superstitions are silly, childish, irrational rituals, born out of fear of the unknown.
But how much does it cost to knock on wood?

Guillaume Gleize

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2017, 03:14:47 PM »
Hello Dave,

We agree: I never said that we deal any card nor do nothing else than taking an amount of chips each x time ... The point is witch x time? I understand your argument of 30 seconds ... We have to think about it ... TY for your advice!

GG

Boris

• International Poker dealer (EU)
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2017, 10:14:19 AM »
Hello folks,

We might use an appreciation of Rule 10D

D: Full-table play will halt on tables 3 or more players short of the table with the most players. Play halts
on other formats (ex: 6-hand and turbos) at TDs discretion. TDs may waive halting play and waiver is
not a misdeal. As the event progresses, at TD’s discretion tables may be more tightly balanced.

Technically, it returns to Bill's proposal : Custom single player rule.

But (experience talking), at Shuffle and Deal, there is always an announcement that 3 players are needed to start dealing (collusion avoiding). In GG's case, this requirement is not fullfilled. So my guess is we are on a halt play situation.

chet

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2017, 10:20:46 AM »
Boris:

I believe that rule 10D applies in the situation where the table is short handed due to eliminated players.  That is NOT the situation in this example, the table is not short handed due to eliminated players it is short handed due to absent players.  I believe the deal should progress as it normally would and the remaining player is able to pick up the blinds/antes.  Whether one should deal a hand a minute or half-minute is up to the house, I would just deal normally.

Chet

BillM16

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2017, 10:02:24 AM »
...  Whether one should deal a hand a minute or half-minute is up to the house, I would just deal normally.

Hey Chet,

The problem is that the players are the dealers in this game ... all but one player/dealer is absent.

Regards,
B~

chet

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2017, 11:06:30 AM »
Bill:  I understand that.  One has to realize that in player dealt games there are situations in which the "normal" procedures/rules/policies just do not work.  I stand by my position as that is what I would have done when I was running player dealt games. 

Other than that, what do you do, pause the game until the late players return?  I think that gives them an advantage that other players do not have so it is unfair, at least in my opinion.

By "normally" I mean the speed at which the hands are dealt.  In this case, it would appear that one player has to do all the dealing, but the button/blinds and the physical placement of the cards should be just as though those players were at the table.

Chet

Guillaume Gleize

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2017, 05:04:26 PM »
Hello guys!

First TY for your answers!

To be said: The players deal one after the other clockwise!
Our tourneys may include more than 2000 players with only floor managers (dealers only at last tables).
I know my self-dealing tourneys are not usual for you so I don't want to waste much of your time.
OK I will stick to the solution of blind-off SB+BB to the absent players each ... X ... minutes (depending) and give it to the present lone player.

GG

Steff0111

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2017, 12:23:48 AM »
Guillaume, this procedure ist controlled/observed by a floor man, isnīt it?

Brian Vickers

• Poker Manager
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2017, 11:28:00 AM »
Without creating a rule ahead of time, I would have instructed my dealer to deal at a normal pace for heads up play.  I don't think it would be out of the question for you to create a house rule for this scenario but IMO it's such a rare scenario I don't see the need at this time for a TDA rule covering it.   I could probably be convinced of it, but the more rules we add for such fringe situations, the harder it becomes to remember and explain them all.

Guillaume Gleize

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2017, 11:22:29 AM »
Guillaume, this procedure ist controlled/observed by a floor man, isnīt it?

For sure!