Author Topic: taking chips out of play while in hand  (Read 5523 times)

mooredog

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
taking chips out of play while in hand
« on: September 27, 2016, 10:39:54 AM »
Recently I was told of an incident in our room where a player involved in a hand on the river had $51 in chips in front of him and when it was his turn to act said " Here's a $50 tip for the dealer and I am all in for one dollar." The supervisor allowed the all in for one dollar saying he can tip whoever he likes whenever he likes! Hearing of this I consider it circumventing the spirit of the game and I said that this should not have been allowed. I also said he could have tipped the dealer right then and there if he pulled the $50 out of his pocket and not from the chips in play. We allow players to pay for drinks, food, and tips from their stacks when servers come around but it usually is not an issue and I would like to see a rule in our room where this can only occur between hands. Does anyone else agree that this action was a dodge from the spirit of the game? Evidently the player did not like the opponent and figured he'd rather give the dealer (one of his friends, I might add) the $50 then risk losing it to his opponent.

Nick C

• http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
Re: taking chips out of play while in hand
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 03:00:15 PM »
mooredog,

Very strange...Years ago when dealing in Las Vegas (low limit) we were allowed to tip cocktail waitresses and were also allowed to remove small denominations from our stack for keno and even small purchases from the gift shop, gum or candy etc. Your situation is quite different and I'm sure you could put a house rule in effect that might allow a small percentage to be removed from a table stake in a situation like that...interesting.

i.e.House Rule #121 Violation of Table Stakes: Once a hand begins, no player involved in further betting, may remove more than 5% of his table stake prior to completion of the hand in progress This will apply for tipping or any
other unauthorized purchase. Or something to that affect.

Dave Miller

• Lead dealer / rules guru for World Free Poker
    • Dave MIller Gaming
Re: taking chips out of play while in hand
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 05:31:49 AM »
I find it particularly disturbing that the dealer is a friend of the player's. Was it really a tip, or was it more of a "hold this money for me for a little while" type of arrangement.

Nick's Rule 121 sounds good...
Superstitions are silly, childish, irrational rituals, born out of fear of the unknown.
But how much does it cost to knock on wood?