Author Topic: Card touching hand while dealing  (Read 11860 times)

BillM16

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
Re: Card touching hand while dealing
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2016, 11:55:37 AM »
It might be worthwhile to consider an addition to the Recommended Procedures.  In 2015 we have:

RP-3. Personal Belongings
The table surface is vital for chipstack management, dealing, and betting.  The table and spaces around it (legroom & walkways) should not be cluttered by non-essential personal items. Each cardroom should clearly display its policy on items that may or may not be allowed in the tournament area.

Perhaps some wording on the benefits of keeping "hands-off" during the deal could be helpful.   

Nick C

• http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2016, 07:15:08 PM »
Hello Bill,

I like where you're going with this. Personal belongings could include a players clothing, or hands-off, or any personal affect that might obstruct the direction, or flight of down cards pitched by the dealer. Therefore, any down card exposed during a deal will be replaced. There is no option for the owner of the hand to keep that card...it must be replaced.

Good idea, Bill...why not? That's the way rules should be... Firm!

BillM16

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2016, 07:12:17 AM »

Good idea, Bill...why not? That's the way rules should be... Firm!

Hey Nick,

I'm glad you support the basics of this idea.  However, note that my suggestion is to modify a Recommended Procedure, not an official rule.  As stated in 2015, the RP are policy suggests and not one universal rule.  The above opinions lead me to believe that obtaining a TDA majority vote on such a rule change is unlikely.

Regards,
B~

MikeB

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2016, 11:27:17 AM »
Nick replied:
Hello Bill,

I was thinking to simply add the "hands-off" to the existing RP-3. You are definitely correct about getting the TDA to come up with a majority vote to change this rule.

I guess we have to decide (individually) which rule best addresses the desire of the card room manager, or whoever makes the rules for your room.

Either the card is always replaced, or there are certain conditions that could deem replacement unacceptable. Whatever the decision, be sure your house rules are clearly stated and understood by all...players and dealers alike.
Somehow his post was corrupted

Dave Miller

• Lead dealer / rules guru for World Free Poker
    • Dave MIller Gaming
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2016, 05:12:49 PM »
While the "hands off" rule sounds good, I can't see it working.

Some players have their paws all over the place, to the point of making it hard to see if they even have cards. How are you gonna get that type of player to keep hands off during the deal? You might as well ask craps players to keep their hands out of the tub while the shooter has the dice. It's a loosing battle.
Superstitions are silly, childish, irrational rituals, born out of fear of the unknown.
But how much does it cost to knock on wood?

Nick C

• http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2016, 07:10:01 PM »
Dave,

We're talking about the fraction of a second it takes to keep your hands away from a card that is pitched to you. We are not talking about the complete duration of the deal. When the card is pitched to you and settles face down, then you can take a peek. If you flip it, or drop it and it becomes exposed, it's yours. We know how to handle an exposed card caused by dealer error.

I'd rather we consider listing two rulings, one for flop games and another for stud.