LIVE CASH GAME POKER RULES DISCUSSION > Live Cash Game Rules Questions

50% rule in Cash Game

(1/2) > >>

Vincenzo Morabito:
Hello Everybody.

A little question.

Cash Game - All-in situation:

Do you prefer to apply the "full bet" rule or the half bet rule, in cash game?

Personally, I prefer to apply  the Half bet in all-in situations. One reason is the different dinamic in playing with real money & commitment.

NL 200
postflop - Pot 200 - Average stack deep x200bb - one player short.
A: Bet 50
B: All-in 95
C: Call 95
D: Call 95
IMHO A  should have an open action.

Thanks for your opinion.

V.M.

Dave Miller:
I wish there was uniformity on this.

I've seen it ruled one way then, hours later, ruled differently, at the same poker room. Sigh...

Personally, I prefer the 50% rule (as opposed to the OVER 50% rule).

Brian Vickers:
I strongly prefer full 100% raise required to reopen action on NL and PL.  Keep it consistent between cash and live.

Nick C:
Unfortunately, I had a lengthy reply that I somehow lost before I could copy and paste it!  >:(

In a nutshell: I believe the difference between Limit and No limit is the fact that every player has a chance to bet all of their chips on their turn to act (No limit) and the initial bettor is locked in to a fixed amount (Limit).

No limit players have little excuse, or reason to complain, for not betting a larger amount. They had the opportunity to bet whatever they wanted. Limit players are restricted...that's it.

The subject of when raising is reopened to bettors is much more complicated in no limit. I agree that the 50% rule makes sense, mainly because it is easier to explain and understand.

A simple formula: In Limit...An all-in of less than 50% of the required amount can be completed to the proper amount. Example: $5 & $10 Limit..on the turn, Player A bets $10 Player B All-in for $14, Player C calls...Player A can only call $4 more because the all-in amount was less than the required amount necessary to re-open the betting. Same situation except Player B goes all-in for $15, Player C calls...Player A can now re-raise to $25 because Player B's all-in was 50% of the required amount.

No limit requires a 100% raise to reopen the betting to the original bettor.
I made some corrections and added a point or two after reviewing my post from last night. Hope this helps a bit.

Vincenzo, I agree with you, also. I prefer the 50% rule for all games but I don't think it will happen.

Nick C:
Dave, can you explain the over 50% rule? Are you referring to limit? If so, I understand. The only rule-set that covered this subject was R.O.P.E. However, I believe it was for an accidental placement of chips, i.e. Player A bets $10 and Player B grabs three red chips by mistake and releases them into the pot...by the 50% rule, he is bound to complete his bet to a $10 raise. If we considered the over 50% rule, Player B would have been held to a call.

I don't believe it pertained to an all-in situation. We might need to contact our illustrious TDA member, and author of R.O.P.E. Mr. Thomas McGee

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version