Author Topic: Oversized chip raise from BB  (Read 8246 times)

The Riddler

• TDA Member & Active Poster
Oversized chip raise from BB
« on: January 28, 2016, 12:36:48 AM »
No Limit Holdem- Tournament. Blinds 500/1000.
BB has a one 1.000 Chip posted.

2 Players call, SB call…BB without comment or indication of raise tosses a 5.000 chip in the 1.000 chip.

I know, his action is logical taken a raise.
But what is whit Rule 42, methods of raising; point a,b and c…he doesn`t action like that way.
Rule 45, oversized chip betting.
Verbal declarations 

Nick C

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
    • http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
Re: Oversized chip raise from BB
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 08:38:25 AM »
Riddler:

The way I call it...without declaration of his intent-call or raise-it's a raise to 6000

The Riddler

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 09:38:20 AM »
Thank You Nick

Is there no impact to Rule 42,45?

Nick C

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 10:01:50 AM »
Riddler,

I don't think 42 changes my feelings. I do feel that #45 is confusing because it refers to calling bets or blinds...the blinds are still bets and I think (blinds) should be eliminated from the rule.

I like to consider the blinds are "forced" bets that are not considered action. By that I mean...blinds are never considered as substantial action, the action begins with the under the gun and then proceeds. Because of this, I believe that a player in the blind, when acting for the first time on the initial betting round; #1 Must make their intentions perfectly clear before placing any extra chips into the pot, or #2 Without first removing their blind the sum of all chips will be considered the size of the bet. also #3 Numbers #1 & #2 (above) will nullify the single oversize chip rule.
 This is how I see it. This is not an explanation from the TDA or the BOD. I'm sure others will chime in.

Dave Miller

• Lead dealer / rules guru for World Free Poker
    • Dave MIller Gaming
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2016, 12:16:11 PM »
I'd rule it a call.

Without a verbal declaration, it is a single chip. Perhaps he forgot he was a blind. Similarly, in an unraised pot, I allow the BB to fold.

Note that if the player had thrown in five 1K chips, or said "5,000" or said "raise", I would rule it a total of 5,000. 
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 12:18:47 PM by Dave Miller »
Superstitions are silly, childish, irrational rituals, born out of fear of the unknown.
But how much does it cost to knock on wood?

Max D

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2016, 12:34:50 PM »
This happened to me in Caesar's Palace in Vegas, where I threw 1 large chip (on top of my big blind) to make it a raise and was told that I just called...  At the time I was told it was a single chip, even-though I had 2 chips in front of me...

To come back to the scenario at first I thought of rule #46, but it looks like it doesn't apply here.  So I would think the intent is a raise, but from my previous experience I am not as sure, but I would call it 6K a raise of
Max D
Less talking, more dealing.

The Riddler

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2016, 01:32:49 PM »
Thank You Dave and Max.

I think if we have clear rules for raising we should take them and tell the players thats the way you raising and nothing else...Rule 42

In the presented case the player is not acting like 42, he is not acting at all actually.

BillM16

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2016, 08:42:27 AM »
Preflop, when the action reached the BB, he had two valid options: check or raise.  He had 1000 in the pot and tossed in 5000 on top of it.  Rule #45 covers this action with: 

When not facing a bet, pushing out an oversized chip without declaration is a bet of the maximum for the chip.

As we all know, bets come in two flavors: Initial bets and raises.  The initial bet here was the BB's 1000 blind and the raise was the 5000 added to the pot by the BB.  See also Rule #47 regarding Previous Bet Chips Not Pulled In

Dave Miller

• Dave MIller Gaming
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2016, 08:54:30 AM »
Ok. Let's back up a little. Let's say the SB who had 500 out, tossed a 1K chip, leaving his 500 there. What's the rule?
Superstitions are silly, childish, irrational rituals, born out of fear of the unknown.

BillM16

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2016, 09:06:35 AM »
It would be a raise to 2000 given the multiple chip rule and the %50 rule.  Also, Rule 47 clearly makes it the responsibility of the player to consider the affect of previous bet chips not pulled in.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 09:09:11 AM by BillM16 »

Nick C

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2016, 10:08:30 AM »
Dave,

I would first like to comment on something you wrote on Reply #4: "Note that if the player had thrown in five 1K chips, or said "5,000" or said "raise", I would rule it a total of 5,000." If the Player did any of the above, the bet would be 6000, not 5000 unless he specifically said raise to 5000. Even when players say 5000 when they already have 1K in on a blind, there is still confusion without clarification. How many times have you heard players say, " raise...500" There are many times when we are unsure if he is raising a total of 500 or if he is increasing a 100 bet to a total of 500. Clarification is the only way to guarantee the intent of the bettor, whether calling or raising. Why don't we just make a rule that forces players to announce the total of every questionable bet?

Dave Miller

• Dave MIller Gaming
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2016, 11:07:44 AM »
Why don't we just make a rule that forces players to announce the total of every questionable bet?
You mean like Rule 52?