Author Topic: In what year did the TDA first publish rules?  (Read 5565 times)

BillM16

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
In what year did the TDA first publish rules?
« on: December 31, 2015, 08:57:53 AM »
I have the rules for 2011, 2013, and 2015.  I also have the 2011 version (found here) with red line changes to 2009.  However, I cannot find the original 2009 version or any other previous version(s).  I know the TDA was founded in 2001, but I don't know when they first published rules.  Please help me find copies of all of the published TDA rules.

Thanks,
B~

chet

Re: In what year did the TDA first publish rules?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2015, 10:43:45 AM »
I sent you a message re: this topic.

Chet

BillM16

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 07:46:25 AM »
Thanks for the copy of the 2009 rules.  Does anyone have older versions?

BillM16

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 12:07:40 PM »
I believe I have them all now.  Thanks for your help.

Brian Vickers

• Poker Manager
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 02:29:07 PM »
I recall the 2009 rules because it was the first time I had heard of the "four-card flop rule" and I thought it was absolutely brilliant.  It seems to me like that was an update on a previous ruleset but I suppose it may have been the first.

WSOPMcGee

• The R.O.P.E.
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 12:27:21 AM »
I believe I have them all now.  Thanks for your help.
The first set of TDA rules published to my knowledge was included in the Rules of Poker by Chuck Ferry in 2002. They are $10 a copy and you can get it here Rules of Poker
@wsopmcgee on Twitter

Nick C

• http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 08:37:42 PM »
Thomas,

Thanks for the link. I would like to mention Chuck Ferry's other book "The Complete Poker Room" Great little book, filled with a wealth of common sense rules and loaded with expert advice for any poker room.

BillM16

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2016, 06:02:45 AM »
Thanks to all who have responded.

Based on search results, it seems that the first release of TDA rules occurred in 2001 and was comprised of only 14 rules.  Then, around 2002-03 another 23 rules were added for a total of 37 rules.  In 2004, I found a document titled The 2004 World Series of Poker TDA Rules which contains 38 rules.  In 2007, there were 40 rules.  In 2009, there were 44 rules. In 2011, there were 54 rules.  In 2013, there were 62 rules, plus 7 recommended procedures and an illustration addendum on 6 of the rules.  Now, in 2015, we have a total of 66 rules, 7 recommended procedures and 10 rule illustrations.

Here are the original 14 rules:

1. Chip race rule: When it is time to color-up chips, they will be raced off with a maximum of one chip going to any player. The chip race will always start in the No.1 seat.
2. Odd chips: The odd chip(s) will go to the high hand. In flop games, when there are two or more high hands or two or more low hands, the odd chip(s) will go to the left of the button. In stud-type games, the odd chip will go to the high card by suit.
3. Side pots: Each side pot will be split as a separate pot. They will not be mixed together before they are split.
4. Calling for the clock procedures: Once a reasonable amount of time has passed and a clock is called for, a player will be given one minute to make a decision. If action has not been taken by the time the minute is over, there will be a 10-second countdown. If a player has not acted on his hand by the time the countdown is over, the hand will be dead.
5. Dead Button: Tournament play will use a dead button.
6. Penalties: A penalty MAY be invoked if a player exposes any card with action pending, if a card(s) goes off the table, if soft-play occurs, or similar incidents take place. Penalties WILL be invoked in cases of abuse, disruptive behavior, or similar incidents.
7. Players must be at the table to call time. In flop games, the big blind’s hand will be dead if he is not there to act on it before the flop. In stud-type games, the forced low hand will be immediately dead if the player is not there to act on his hand at the time he is required to put money in the pot (the minimum bring-in will be posted and the hand will be killed).
8. Half-bet rule: If a player puts in a raise of 50 percent or more of the previous bet, he will be required to make a full raise. The raise will be exactly the minimum raise allowed.
9. All in: All cards will be turned face up once a player is all in and all action is complete.
10. Oversized Chip: In limit games, an oversized chip will be constituted to be a call if the player does not announce a raise. In no-limit, an oversized chip before the flop is a call; after the flop, an oversized chip put in the pot will constitute the size of the bet.
11. Help: The one-player-to-a-hand rule will be enforced.
12. Deal for button: A draw for the button will be held at the beginning of each flop-type event.
13. Seat Assignment: Tournament and satellite seats will be randomly assigned.
14. English-only: The English-only rule will be enforced in the United States during the play of hands.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 06:07:17 AM by BillM16 »