Author Topic: Penalty Guidelines.  (Read 6627 times)

NupZ_FTAG

• TDA Member & Active Poster
  • Legend.. wait for it .. Dary !!
Penalty Guidelines.
« on: March 23, 2010, 05:01:32 AM »
Hi,
we often talk about penalties to be given against specific lack of respect to the rules, ethics & behaviors, etc..

I've looked around but could not see the guidelines for penalties; maybe I did not look hard enough.

I thank you in advance.
NupZ..
NupZ - FTAG

Stuart Murray

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
Re: Penalty Guidelines.
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 05:12:52 AM »
Etiquette & Penalties
40.   Penalties and Disqualification
A penalty MAY be invoked if a player exposes any card with action pending, throws a card off the table, violates the one-player-to-a-hand rule, or similar incidents take place. Penalties WILL be invoked in cases of soft play, abuse, or disruptive behavior. Penalties available to the TD include verbal warnings and “missed hand” penalties. Except for a one-hand penalty, missed hand penalties will be assessed as follows: The offender will miss one hand for every player, including the offender, who is at the table when the penalty is given multiplied by the number of rounds specified in the penalty.  For the period of the penalty, the offender shall remain away from the table but will continue to be dealt in.

Tournament staff can assess a one-hand penalty, one-, two-, three-, or four-round penalties or disqualification. A player who is disqualified shall have his or her chips removed from play. Repeat infractions are subject to escalating penalties.
41.   No Disclosure
Players are obligated to protect the other players in the tournament at all times. Therefore, players, whether in the hand or not, may not:
   1.  Disclose contents of live or folded hands,
   2.  Advise or criticize play at any time,
   3.  Read a hand that hasn't been tabled.
The one-player-to-a-hand rule will be enforced.
42.   Exposing Cards
A player who exposes his cards with action pending may incur a penalty, but will not have a dead hand. The penalty will begin at the end of the hand.
43.   Ethical Play
Poker is an individual game. Soft play will result in penalties, which may include forfeiture of chips and/or disqualification. Chip dumping and/or all other forms of collusion will result in disqualification.
44.   Etiquette Violations
Repeated etiquette violations will result in penalties. Examples include, but are not limited to, unnecessarily touching other players’ cards or chips, delay of the game, repeatedly acting out of turn or excessive chatter.

The important thing to gain from the above TDA rules is that the TD should asses the penalty on a case by case basis, rather than fixed penalties for each type of offence.

Regards
Stu

NupZ_FTAG

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 04:04:58 AM »
Thank you Stu.

Again here, you talk about the rules, i.e, rules number 40, 41, 42, 43, 44..which state: ...will result in penalties.

But what are they?

What is the penalty if there's disclosure?

What is the penalty to be applied if there's soft play?

What is the sanction given to a player if he exposes his cards ?

etc..

I agree on:
The important thing to gain from the above TDA rules is that the TD should asses the penalty on a case by case basis, rather than fixed penalties for each type of offence.

But, what are the guidelines.. it will not be fair and correct if one TD takes an action against some issue, while another TD takes a different sanction for the same issue on another table, specially in the same tournament..  if you see what I mean.

I believe that one day or the other, there must be a definite definition of the sanctions/ penalties.. like a yellow card, red card etc.. if you see what i mean..

Thanks.
NupZ..
NupZ - FTAG

Stuart Murray

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 08:50:11 AM »
Nupz,

The whole reason the  TD exists is to weigh up the facts, deliberate the situation and based on the information he has available to him make a balanced decision as to whether to impose a penalty a warning, do nothing or disqualify the player.

There will IMO never be any guidelines for what penalty to impose for what situation, as that is why we exist, we are the arbitrator the same as a judge and must make an impartial decision on a case by case basis, I as a TD give guidance to my Floor Staff how I feel situations should be dealt with, within the requirements of the TDA or other rules where applicable, and my intention is that myself and my staff will be consistent within our own tournaments on our rulings, so that when I am called to the table after a floor has ruled for another ruling I will (hopefully) still rule the same way.

Just by reading the threads on this discussion forum you will notice variations on the way TD's rule given the situation, you will notice also that TD's vary widely in their interpretation of each rule sometimes, some will penalise a situation harshly whilst others would be quite soft in the same situation, then in another situation the two TD's would switch the other way round.

The key is it is down to you as a TD to develop the way you implement the rules there are always going to be differences of opinion and differences of application, a good way of ironing out many of these differences however is on this forum.  I have leaned much by participating in them and have hopefully improved my abilities as a TD and will continue to do so whilst this forum exists.

Best Regards
Stuart

NupZ_FTAG

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 05:55:19 AM »
I now see what you mean.

Thank you Stu,
your response did help.

Cheers,
NupZ.