Author Topic: Showing a hand too soon again  (Read 4294 times)

Guillaume Gleize

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
Showing a hand too soon again
« on: September 14, 2015, 07:30:17 AM »
Hello,

I already asked this questions several times but never had clear answer (unless I missed it):

Let' ask IN GENERAL:

When a player shows his hand (while folding for example) after some bettings and while THERE IS STILL ACTION PENDING ...

I know the common ruling is to let the hand alive and punish the player AFTER but ...

Don't you experienced (like me) situations where the shown hand clearly ADVANTAGE OR DISADVANTAGE some players DURING the betting round while HUGE AMOUNTS are in the middle?

I hate some few rules that are not clearly in my mind "in the best interest of the game".

GG
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 07:32:32 AM by Guillaume Gleize »

Nick C

• http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
Re: Showing a hand too soon again
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 01:51:55 AM »
  Exposing any cards with action pending, whether intentionally or by accident, is unacceptable. The guilty player must be reprimanded and further betting could be suspended.

Max D

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2015, 09:59:11 AM »
If it is a true mistake cards fly's off and turns over, let it slide once, if it keeps happening penalize!
Max D
Less talking, more dealing.

BillM16

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2015, 05:56:50 PM »
Hello,

I already asked this questions several times but never had clear answer (unless I missed it):

Let' ask IN GENERAL:

When a player shows his hand (while folding for example) after some bettings and while THERE IS STILL ACTION PENDING ...

I know the common ruling is to let the hand alive and punish the player AFTER but ...

Don't you experienced (like me) situations where the shown hand clearly ADVANTAGE OR DISADVANTAGE some players DURING the betting round while HUGE AMOUNTS are in the middle?

I hate some few rules that are not clearly in my mind "in the best interest of the game".

GG

GG, I (too) do not like the implications of the first two sentences of Rule #63:

63:  Exposing Cards and Proper Folding
A player who exposes his cards with action pending may incur a penalty, but will not have a dead hand. The penalty will begin at the end of the hand.

An angle-shooter could easily read this as:
I will be able to win this hand or minimum loss of chips if I show my cards and get a good read on my opponents.  The risk of possible penalty is small compared to the possible gain."

I realize that the TDA is attempting to protect the player who accidentally exposes his cards.  Unfortunately, this rule doesn't make that distinction.

MikeB addresses this problem in a different thread:

But how do we know it's in error without realizing and not deliberate? i.e. how do we write "intent" into the rule? Sure, as TD you can make that and any other determination you think obvious, but making intent an element of the rule is something the Association has historically avoided.

IMO: The TDA Rules should make a more deliberate effort to distinguish how TD discretion should treat acts of error and how that will differ from the underhanded attempts of angle-shooters to disadvantage opponents for their own advantage.  Simply saying "in the best interest of the game" isn't enough.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 06:53:31 PM by BillM16 »