Author Topic: Nosebleed level On-Line Poker  (Read 15819 times)

chet

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
Nosebleed level On-Line Poker
« on: November 22, 2009, 09:50:27 PM »
Just to get the discussion started: 

How do members feel about the current on-line games at the nosebleed level?  This week saw a new record pot of just under $900,000 (yes, if you are not aware that is Nine Hundred Thousand Dollars) only to be broken a day or two later by a pot of over $1,300,000. 

Sure these are interesting, but certainly out of the reach of 99.99% of the real world players.  The more important question for the long term anyway, is:  Is this good for poker overall or will games at this level have a negative effect on the face of poker?

chet

Re: Nosebleed level On-Line Poker
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 10:36:05 AM »
A couple days ago, (around the 26th of November) TonyG's blog at PokerNews.com included a discussion of this topic.  He has some very interesting thoughts about this issue and the identity of Isildur1.  The title of the blog entry is:  "My opinion of what’s going on and Isildur1". 

chet

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 02:07:25 PM »
TonyG has given me permission to reprint part of his blog dealing with (at least in my opinion) the nosebleed level games on Full Tilt.  An earlier post gives the title of the full blog entry if anyone is interested.  Here is the part dealing with the current games:

..."I want to explore where Full Tilt is going now with these very huge games. I think the money is not correct right now and that these players are not showing a good example as pros…I am talking about Gus and Durrrr here, for those two world top pros to be losing 15 Million on Full Tilt in six months is not the right example to the up and coming players. I think Full Tilt needs to kill the big games, with the biggest being 100-200. In the long run, I believe the limits being played right now will hurt the game. Sure, it’s nice to have so many fans watching but if you look at the chat, they are brutal to Durr. Most of the players like to see him lose his money because they can never play like him.

The great players understand how massive Durrrr is to be able to play such huge stakes and be back every day, but I just feel that the pressure can get to anyone when you swing millions and go broke, it’s a hard road back when you lose 7.5 Million, it’s not going to be easy.

The games look too big to me right now. They need to be realigned. Poker is meant to be a fun hobby and it’s fine to play against Andy Beal who can play the corporation as they are all matured gamblers but these are young kids on the internet..."

MikeB

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 12:54:16 PM »
Chet: Interesting posts. The answers to this will by nature be largely personal preferences...

1) it is true that very high stakes continuous losses have a way of taking care of themselves. Either the player busts out or tires of the continuous losses or seeks help...

2) If they didn't get into a chronic loss spiral on that particular platform they'd probably find another...

3) Personally I think the gaming industry has had the right answer to this for a long time: a) spread whatever limits people want to play AND b) offer a link to G.A. and other support services if the player has a problem.

4) And the biggest question in my mind, is it legal? I can't speak to the legality of this particular game, by this particular player, at this particular player's location. If it isn't legal, then I don't approve of it, regardless of the stakes...

5) As far as it being good for the game, well it does draw attention. I'd ask "is it real"... just like the stories about Andy Beal's ultra-high-stake poker games with Vegas pros, it does draw attention. Presumably most observers know that these are very atypical games...

6) From the point of view of player strategy, bankroll management is crucial, you have to ask what percent of their bankrolls these players are risking on every tournament. Different players have different comfort zones but once you get much past 10% of your b.r. on any event you're risking more than even a very aggressive pro would be comfortable with. For many more conservative types, 1 or 2 percent is much more like it. If these players are putting their entire b.r. on the line each time they play they likely won't be doing it very long. I guess that's a very long-winded way of saying that gambling speculation like speculation in any market has a way of taking care of itself.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 01:38:54 AM by MikeB »

Linda Johnson

• TDA Founding Member
  • TDA Member & Active Poster
    • Card Player Cruises
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 07:27:34 PM »
I think the nosebleed games are good for poker because they spark interest in the game. Low-limit players always ask about various players and it creates discussion.
Linda Johnson

Brian Saslavchik

• TDA Member
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 11:43:30 AM »
5) As far as it being good for the game, well it does draw attention. I'd ask "is it real"... just like the stories about Andy Beal's ultra-high-stake poker games with Vegas pros, it does draw attention. Presumably most observers know that these are very atypical games...

Why do you say that observers know that these are atypical stakes? What do you consider them atypical?

MikeB

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 02:11:01 PM »

Why do you say that observers know that these are atypical stakes? What do you consider them atypical?
Hi Brian: well I'd call them atypical stakes because they are at the very extreme end of high-stakes, and very few games are played for those stakes. For that reason they tend to draw alot of attention.

madkiwi9

• TDA Member & Active Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 02:56:30 AM »
Having your high stakes games are great for publicity!
But here's a thought, those stakes are way beyond most of us, prob even beyond alot of the pros!
Why not pick at random a couple of regular joes to play?!
Weather it online or just picked from a hat - this makes it possible for the players that would never have the chance to play with the pros to get a chance and make 'us' little players believe that it is possible to rub shoulders and learn.
Yes they play online as they are obligated to by sponsers (on sunday there were a number of them playing on 5 - 10 tables with no time to talk).

Idea - 1 pro pickes at random 9 low stakes players to play a single sit and go!
disable all observer chat but get the pro to chat with the players on the moves that were made and why both good and bad. R50 dollar to the winner if it's not the pro!
This way the pro could play 5 - 6 (or more) sit and goes in a sitting and expose the little guy with genuine learning opportunity!

Publicise it properly - get a final table of the players who have beaten the pros and then really pump that!
This to me - would be better than 10 million in a heads up game!
Russell Miller
Southern Cross Poker