Author Topic: Raising and going away from the table with action pending  (Read 12683 times)

Nick C

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
    • http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
Re: Raising and going away from the table with action pending
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2015, 06:37:38 AM »
Thanks for the link. It does confirm what I said. They all agree that in a cash game the dealer can never turn over the absent players cards. Jack Effel did say that the cards must be tabled in a tournament but never disclosed who would turn them over. I know this...when I deal, there's no way I'm going to turn those cards (of the absent player), without explicit orders from the floor!

Taking it a step further, lets say the absent player left the room, (we've had this discussion long ago), what then? I would kill the hand expose it and if it were the winner the chips could be removed from play or the pot would go to the remaining player. Because of tournament rules, I see no better solution.

BillM16

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2015, 01:22:15 PM »
Nick, I'm not sure what article you read but here is the Hendon Mob verdict on the article that I sent you.

Looks like our six Tournament Directors are in agreement with this one. In a cash game the absent player’s cards are mucked and in a tournament they are turned over at the moment the pot goes heads up with no more betting. As Jeff says a player’s cards are their own responsibility and no one else’s.

Nick C

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2015, 05:05:33 PM »
Bill,

I read the same article as you. Who turns over the cards of the absent player? That was my question. And while we're at it, why do all of the members of the TDA board of directors find the time to reply to The Hendon Mob, but can't answer a single question in over a year on this Forum?

I'm not trying to be difficult, I believe there must be a logical answer...anyone?

BillM16

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2015, 07:08:41 AM »

Why not just say: A player with a live hand must remain at the table until the showdown is complete!

That is what the new language reads.

30: At the Table with Action Pending
A player with a live hand must remain at the table if any further betting action remains in the hand. Leaving the table is incompatible with a player’s duty to protect his hand and follow the action, and is subject to penalty.

Question:  Did Player A assume that all betting action was complete as the only action left was for Player B to call or fold? 

Apparently, the new language will rectify this problem.  I look forward to seeing the new version ... this week?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 07:11:14 AM by BillM16 »

Nick C

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2015, 10:38:00 AM »
Bill,

I'd have to say that Player A was fully aware that action was not completed. There were only two players in the hand, he should have remained seated until Player B called or folded...he did neither.

TDA #30 At the Table with Action Pending
A player with a live hand must remain at the table if any further betting action remains in the hand. This does not prevent the a player from bolting from the table when both players are all-in and more board cards are still to come. Leaving the table is incompatible with a player’s duty to protect his hand and follow the action, and is subject to penalty. The new "language" would correct the problem because the players are directed to remain at the table until the completion of showdown .
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 10:43:47 AM by Nick C »

Brian Vickers

• Poker Manager
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2015, 09:54:17 AM »
Penalize him but don't kill his hand.