POKER TOURNAMENT RULES QUESTIONS & DISCUSSIONS > Discussion of Rules by Specific Game Types

NL Hold'em - Player with 3 cards when all-in called

<< < (2/2)

Nick C:
Chet, I agree the hand is dead...however, I believe the hand should be ruled dead automatically. In other words, the dead hand should "trump" any substantial action from ever happening. This is tournament poker we are discussing, and my feelings have always leaned in the direction of: the best hand gets the pot. The way I see it, killing the players hand and "giving" his chips away to another player is not in the best interest of the game.

I agree with the decision Boris made, and with most of what Brian wrote. I also think that my last post covers the example where the all-in player is unaware of the identity of his cards, but is all-in because it was his blind (a forced all-in) and he would be obligated to play to the showdown.

MikeB:

--- Quote from: Nick C on June 11, 2015, 04:37:25 AM ---Mike, Isn't that a tough call. to kill the hand? I would think that too many cards would trump substantial action.

--- End quote ---

The original question was whether a misdeal can be declared and the chips returned to the players. That's why substantial action is important. If a 3-card hand was discovered before substantial action you could declare a misdeal. But the point about SA is that once it occurs a misdeal cannot be called and the hand must proceed. Hence the fouled hand with 3 cards at showdown is dead.

Nick C:
Mike, I agree with you 100% if the hand went to showdown...I just mentioned a few scenarios when I would return the chips and deal again. The original post was on the flop.

MikeB:

--- Quote from: Nick C on June 11, 2015, 01:47:43 PM ---Mike, I agree with you 100% if the hand went to showdown...I just mentioned a few scenarios when I would return the chips and deal again. The original post was on the flop.

--- End quote ---

It's on the flop with everyone all-in... hence effectively at showdown. And you can't get to the flop without substantial action occurring pre-flop.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version