Author Topic: Invalid verbal raise amount  (Read 9683 times)

MikeB

• Administrator
  • TDA Member & Veteran Poster
Re: Invalid verbal raise amount
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2015, 11:59:41 AM »
Mike points out that sequence is important.

But the sequence here is important. The original post says the player made the declaration of Raise > "Twenty seven hundred".... THEN he starts stacking up his chips. If I'm making the ruling, the chipstacking that comes after the declaration has no meaning in determining the size of the bet. If the guy had pushed out 20k+ then said "Raise, twenty seven hundred", I would bind him to whatever he pushed out. If it's 20k, that's his bet, if 27k, that's his bet etc. because those are all valid raises.

But as I read the OP, the sequence is verbal declaration clearly before any chips were cut out.

However, the OP did not actually say "THEN" but instead said "AND."  Which means that these two events (saying raise 2700 and pushing 27K chips forward) could have occurred concurrently.

Nice point Bill. However the OP, as you subsequently quote actually says "AND STARTS" to put out chips. That's my problem. The visual I have on that is a declaration followed (perhaps immediately) by starting to push out chips... And the way it reads to me he's doing so in multiple motions, one stack of 1k's here, going back for another stack of 1k's.

I'm assuming the guy thought that his declaration established a bet of 27k, therefore he could put the chips out in however many moves are necessary to get to 27k. We don't have a video of this so we're all left to envision the scenario in our minds a bit.

So that takes us back to the semantics in question: is "and starts" equal to "and simultaneously extends a full stack of 27k in chips". I can't get there from the visual I have reading the OP. Admittedly I'm very strict on betting interpretations. This is a non-standard situation and we don't have a precise video.... I completely understand how others can have a different visual than I do, and give this player the benefit of the doubt.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 12:03:52 PM by MikeB »

MikeB

• Administrator
  • TDA Member & Veteran Poster
Re: Invalid verbal raise amount
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2015, 12:08:04 PM »

If the actions occurred simultaneously the question becomes does the erroneous verbal declaration of 2700 automatically overrule the legitimate 27000 chips being moved forward?

If that's how it actually happened... that the guy got 27k in chips pushed forward at the same time he declares "twenty seven hundred", I would go with the chip push and call it 27k, in this case, despite the general convention that simultaneous verbal will trump chips.

But as we've debated our visuals based on the OP, that's not the image I have of the sequence of events.