Author Topic: dealer protects player from accidentally mucking  (Read 3797 times)

mooredog

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
dealer protects player from accidentally mucking
« on: May 20, 2015, 09:35:48 AM »
It seems I saw a procedure suggestion coming out of the last summit regarding dealers being encouraged to block the muck to keep a player from accidentally mucking a possible winning hand or a hand already in for the proper bet, such as the big blind in an unraised pot. We have our dealers do this in our room but some players don't like us doing this. It seems we read this suggestion somewhere but can't find it. Do any of you have your dealers do this?

mooredog

Re: dealer protects player from accidentally mucking
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 09:37:52 AM »
Mainly talking about keeping the big blind from mucking preflop in an unraised pot. We let players muck face down of course at the showdown if not an all in.

mooredog

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 09:39:31 AM »
Oh yeah, and also when a player bets, thinks everyone has folded, and doesn't notice he's been called and tries to muck. We stop him from that type of accidental mucking.

Nick C

• http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 11:08:00 AM »
mooredog:

I like everything you do, but...there are many that will not. I've seen it in other rule books where it is suggested that the dealer should not prevent the BB from mucking when no one raises his BB. They actually refer to a violation of "one player per hand rule." ::)  Ridiculous, if you ask me. I lean more in the direction of "Any player, or dealer has an obligation to speak up, to prevent an obvious error that is about to occur." I also believe it is in the best interest of the game.

I don't know if you've been following all of the posts, but I have been lobbying for all called hands at showdoen (in tournament poker) to be tabled...the same as they are when a player is all-in.

Spence

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 12:20:46 PM »
I'm sure that someone will pipe up with "game of alert observation" at some point but I agree that protecting the BB from folding is okay. He's already given away information by trying to do so.
We were always taught to protect the muck.  Accidental or even worse, intentional mucking was an issue when I was first dealing.  People would ask to see hands at the showdown and players would intentionally push their cards into the muck to prevent their information from being shown.  Protect the muck.  It's just better for everyone.