Author Topic: "I'll put you all-in"  (Read 5094 times)

Brian Vickers

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
  • Poker Manager
"I'll put you all-in"
« on: April 22, 2015, 08:33:22 AM »
Example A: No Limit Hold'em. Heads up.  Player A with $500 in front of him says to Player B who has $300 in front of him "I'll put you all-in." What is the bet?

Example B: No Limit Hold'em. Three players left in the hand.  Player A with $500 in front of him says to Player B who has $300 in front of him "I'll put you all-in." Player C who is still behind them has $1000.  What is Player A's bet?

chet

Re: "I'll put you all-in"
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 09:03:15 AM »
Brian: 

I believe that we have had this discussion before and the result was that the term "I'll put you all-in" is not a valid betting term.  It is meaningless and vague, especially in your second example.  The dealer needs to instruct the play as such and tell the play to state the amount of the wager.

Chet

Brian Vickers

• Poker Manager
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 09:26:59 AM »
Yeah, I used the search function but couldn't find that question; I'm sure we had the discussion prior just couldn't find it.

So essentially, it binds them to a bet but they still need to announce the amount.

Here's the follow-up then:  What if Player B says "call" in response to "I'll put you all-in?"

Nick C

• http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 09:33:05 AM »
Brian and Chet: We have had this discussion before, probably on numerous occasions. Example A, would commit Player A to the max that Player B has. That would be my rule because if Player B should call, I would give Player A no other option...win, or lose. This is because they are head to head...and yes, it does make a difference.

Example B: I have to agree with Chet when he says that "the dealer needs to instruct the player to state the amount of his wager." What else can you do without creating a completely unclear situation. If the dealer remains silent, and Player B folds, what then? TDA #37 B) Players should wait for clear bet amounts before acting. We can add all of the other TDA rules that tell players they must make their intentions clear. For those TD's that don't want the dealers to do their job, and control the action, you can always run over to the table, waste 10 or 20 minutes trying to sort out the mess, or let the dealer do the job he was trained to do.  ;) That's how I see it. Another common sense answer solves the problem.

Brian was writing while I was posting. I'd handle it by having the dealer stop Player A's action and insist that he clarify his intent. If I were forced to commit him to an amount, the least it would be is the 300 that Player B had in front of him, even though he folded. This would be the most logical solution to Player A's poor choice of a verbal wager.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 09:39:03 AM by Nick C »

WSOPMcGee

• The R.O.P.E.
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 09:18:04 AM »
Every time I hear this phrase whether I am in the box or Supervising I always stop the player and explain to them that "You can't put another player all-in, only they can do that. But, you can put yourself all-in. Are you All-in?"  ;D
@wsopmcgee on Twitter

Spence

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2015, 10:19:35 AM »
i don't think players will ever stop doing this so there probably is precedent to discuss it further,.  Of course stopping the action and having the dealer ask for a proper bet amount is what should happen.  If it doens't and we are involved what's the answer?  Commit some chips?  Enforce a penalty?  What about player C?  He might want those chips too.