Author Topic: Late Entrant  (Read 9217 times)

TheKris

• TDA Member
Late Entrant
« on: March 14, 2015, 09:21:46 PM »
From what I understand, a late entrant to a tournament receives a full stack but must wait for the big blind before playing. Do they also have the option of posting and playing immediately? I've seen it done both ways.

chet

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
Re: Late Entrant
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 08:46:56 AM »
In answer to your questions:

1.  I have never seen a tournament where the late entry had to wait for the BB before being able to play.  The only time the late entrant might have to wait would be if the empty seat would be between the button and the blind.

2.  I have never seen a tournament where the late entry would have to post.  In my experience, Posting is a Cash Game option and even then depends upon the house rules.  The play takes the seat and can play immediately, except if the the situation in #1 applies.

Chet

mikeyp22

• TDA Member
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 10:13:15 AM »
Agreed with Chet, posting happens in Cash games, but even then it's a house call. Players who enter the tournament late are given a random seat and they will occupy whatever seat that is, as long as it's not between the button and the small blind. They will only be forced to put chips into the pot ONLY if they randomly draw the next big blind, or come into a dead small where they will assume the responsibility of that seat and post the small blind. It's not in the best interest of the game to make a player wait until he has to post, as far as tournaments go.

Brian Vickers

• Poker Manager
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2015, 11:09:39 AM »
Making a late entrant "post or wait" has been trending in different regions lately.  I have seen it in PA, DE, OK, KS and MO.  This is a house rule, the TDA does not give any direction for late entry other than full stack.  I think it started from some online sites where if you entered late you weren't dealt cards until the next big blind.  The only reason I think it caught on is to quiet the complainers who thought it wasn't fair for a late player to be dealt in with a full stack without penalty; which is of course shortsighted as coming in with 10k chips on 200-400 is much different than coming in with 10k chips at 25-50 at the start... 

Having done it both ways in tournaments I've run, my recommendation is to put the stack down and just deal them in right away as long as they aren't in between the button and small blind.  By NOT making them post or wait, you save yourself from A) holding the game up while the player decides or B) the situation where the player who buys in runs off to the bathroom or somewhere and doesn't take their seat right away and is not present to choose to post or wait. 

Chips on the table should be dealt cards, if eleigible, period; your tournament will run the best if this happens.

TheKris

• TDA Member
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2015, 04:50:42 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I didn't see it mentioned in the TDA anywhere so it's good to hear insight and your guys' thoughts on it.

WSOPMcGee

• The R.O.P.E.
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2015, 02:23:49 AM »
This rule actually comes from the WSOP rule set circa 2009 thru 2014 and it comes from the players council, ie, Barry Greenstein and Phil Helmuth and Daniel Negreanu.

Poker pros want tournaments to be more like cash games. In cash games (Red Chip and higher in Vegas), you must post or wait until your BB to get a hand.

So the early WSOP adaptation was to make all Late Registrants wait until the BB because the idea of allowing them to post seemed ridiculous.

Then in 2012 we allowed them to post or wait.

The reasoning behind this was that players on the council wanted players to show up on time or be forced to wait for the BB so that they wouldn't receive any "FREE" hands.

Finally this year, 2015, players will be allowed to play right away and not have to post or wait.
@wsopmcgee on Twitter

Nick C

• http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2015, 07:34:37 AM »
Finally a proposed rule change that I'd be in favor of. ; :D

Brian Vickers

• Poker Manager
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2015, 02:26:53 PM »
This rule actually comes from the WSOP rule set circa 2009 thru 2014 and it comes from the players council, ie, Barry Greenstein and Phil Helmuth and Daniel Negreanu.

Poker pros want tournaments to be more like cash games. In cash games (Red Chip and higher in Vegas), you must post or wait until your BB to get a hand.

So the early WSOP adaptation was to make all Late Registrants wait until the BB because the idea of allowing them to post seemed ridiculous.

Then in 2012 we allowed them to post or wait.

The reasoning behind this was that players on the council wanted players to show up on time or be forced to wait for the BB so that they wouldn't receive any "FREE" hands.

Finally this year, 2015, players will be allowed to play right away and not have to post or wait.

As the WSOP goes, so goes the country.

K-Lo

• @AskTheTD on Twitter
    • Ask the Tournament Director
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2015, 08:20:36 AM »
As the WSOP goes, so goes the country.

Loving this quote.

Spence

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2015, 10:33:40 AM »
I'm behind the times and trying to catch up but don't we have something along the lines of...  If you move tables you have to accept the rights and responsibilities of whatever seat you land in?  Wouldn't it then be reasonable to assume that applies to late entrants as well?

WSOPMcGee

• The R.O.P.E.
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2015, 05:36:44 PM »
I'm behind the times and trying to catch up but don't we have something along the lines of...  If you move tables you have to accept the rights and responsibilities of whatever seat you land in?  Wouldn't it then be reasonable to assume that applies to late entrants as well?
It does Spence.

But the original post was referring to rules specifically enacted by the WSOP and subsequently adopted by other houses. Thankfully the WSOP is dropping that rule this year and adopting the WPT rule. (That stings a bit to say, but I'm glad for the change).
@wsopmcgee on Twitter

Spence

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2015, 05:37:49 AM »
Tom,
For clarification what is the WPT rule?  Post, wait, or free hands?

WSOPMcGee

• The R.O.P.E.
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2015, 12:00:58 PM »
Tom,
For clarification what is the WPT rule?  Post, wait, or free hands?
WPT rule is to deal late registrants in straight away and can assume any position except between the small blind and the button. Same as players coming from a broken table.
@wsopmcgee on Twitter

WSOPMcGee

• The R.O.P.E.
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2015, 12:01:50 PM »
Probably could have said just "Free Hands" and skip the commentary. :)
@wsopmcgee on Twitter

Spence

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2015, 06:20:15 AM »
No the clarity is good.  I'm sure someone would have spoken up to say except between the SB and the button.  I'm for this camp.  Glad to see it changed.