Author Topic: Hand for Hand play  (Read 15954 times)

NoMat

• TDA Member
Hand for Hand play
« on: March 08, 2015, 07:07:08 PM »
I could not find a discussion about using hand-for-hand play when approaching the money (or significant pay jumps). To me, the benefit is in somewhat direct proportion to the number of tables remaining. Hand-for-hand play with several hundred remaining players takes a relatively short time but with, say, 10 tables or less, it can take considerable time at considerable discomfort to 95% of the players not affected by the potential edge. This is particularly true if players are reluctant to call for the clock. All the while, the tournament clock is running. The other night with a price pool of $120,000, 30 minute rounds, and 80 some players it took 45 minutes to play 6 hands at 3:30 a.m to eliminate 1 player. Nobody in the event was happy with this and many player complained loudly. Players complain about this situation regularly. Not good for poker.

Perhaps some discussion might yield some help. Round-for-Round, maximum tournament clock usage per hand, stop the tournament clock until the elimination, enforce time rules on players, eliminate hand-for-hand with more than "x" players, give TD's a time structure to enforce for each hand, or some other idea.

Brian Vickers

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
  • Poker Manager
Re: Hand for Hand play
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 01:31:58 PM »
If it's already 3:30am, I'm not sure how stopping the clock or not advancing the levels helps the situation.   If you stop the clock players have no incentive to play at a steady pace whatsoever.  At least if it runs, the smarter short stacks will see how stalling worsens the situation for them.  If you have a player taking a long time every hand, the TD has the right to instill a clock on him or to enforce a penalty for repeatedly stalling. 

Tristan

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 01:24:39 PM »
I don't like stopping the clock.  I haven't done it personally, but I've heard of TDs doing a redraw in situations where they think the tables may have agreements to stall or fold around.
Tristan
@TristanWilberg on Twitter

Martin Roy TD

• TDA Member & Active Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 04:57:17 AM »
I never stop the clock, only one hand for hand is on the bubble.

If you make a final table of 10 players, position 10-11 should make the same amount to avoid stalling.