Author Topic: Card called out as exposed by a player during the deal  (Read 10908 times)

tsoult@netjedi.com

• TDA Member
Card called out as exposed by a player during the deal
« on: January 23, 2015, 10:16:50 AM »
If, during the deal, a player (player 1) thinks he sees another player's card (player 2) and calls it out, does the player receiving the card have the obligation to show it and turn it in for a replacement?

If player 1 saw it correctly, does player 2 have an obligation to turn it in or can he play it with people possibly knowing the card.

But what if player 1 saw it incorrectly.  Can player 2 look at it and say "You're wrong," or merely "I am keeping this card" and keep the card?

What if player 1 did see it correctly, and player 2 merely wants to keep the card?  Can he lie by saying "You're wrong," or merely "I am keeping this card"?

Nick C

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
    • http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
Re: Card called out as exposed by a player during the deal
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 01:15:52 PM »
Welcome to the Forum, tsoult@netjedi.com,

We have had similar questions on this Forum long ago. My advice would be to never expose (replace, should have been used instead of expose) a card that a player may or may not have seen. We can't start replacing proper cards because one of the players thinks he knows it's identity. Players must protect their own hands...that includes keeping it out of view from others. There are other situations regarding exposed cards, that call for replacing the card, but this is not one of them.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 05:16:54 AM by Nick C »

Brian Vickers

• Poker Manager
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2015, 10:08:01 PM »
My preference has been to treat a card that may have been exposed as an exposed card.  This is why a card dealt off the table is treated as exposed card even though no one claims to have seen it. Nick's point of view is also valid.  I'd say make a decision for your room on possible exposed cards and keep it consistent.

Nick C

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 05:14:27 AM »
Brian: A card off the table is much different from a card that "may" have been seen. I remember a rule (The Las Vegas Hilton Rule Book) that allowed the owner of a possible exposed card to refuse the card as long as it was not accepted into his hand. After all, who would refuse their proper card if they didn't see it? The method for replacing such a card is based on the game being played. You can see where a rule like this could cause concern. I never liked the rule because it raised the possibility of marked cards, or some other form of possible collusion.

I would still never consider replacing a card that "might" have been seen. What I should have said was; the card in question could be exposed but not replaced. Consider a player dropping one of his own cards and exposing it...similar situation, don't you think? The hand continues and everybody knows your card.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 05:18:49 AM by Nick C »

Brian Vickers

• Poker Manager
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 02:53:20 PM »
If a player drops their own card off the table I make that card be shown to all players unless it is heads up.  If someone in the hand could have seen it then all players should see it.  If it's heads up he either saw it or he didn't.

Nick C

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 12:44:21 AM »
Brian: I agree, Announce the exposed card, or cards and show the table, but it is not replaced.

Tristan

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2015, 08:25:19 PM »
In the situation above, I would ask the person with the hand in question to remain silent and let the other person announce what he/she thinks they saw.  Then I would proceed with the hand.  No one has an advantage, and the card may or may not be the one named.
Tristan
@TristanWilberg on Twitter

Nick C

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2015, 09:05:24 PM »
Tristan,

You can't be serious...you'll have guys blurting out all kinds of bogus cards that they might have seen. I know there's an angle or two, or three, or more that someone will figure out with that rule.