Author Topic: missed posting of kill  (Read 8366 times)

mooredog

• TDA Member & Veteran Poster
missed posting of kill
« on: January 22, 2015, 11:55:07 AM »
In a kill game if the dealer forgot to give a player a kill button until significant action took place and the kill person had already folded the kill is usually posted on the next hand. Now in Omaha 8 sometimes there are consecutive kill pots. If the missed kill hand is followed by another kill which person posts the kill on the next hand? The most recent kill player or the one from before?

Nick C

• http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
Re: missed posting of kill
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 07:51:46 PM »
mooredog: I've never seen a hand when the dealer forgot to give the "qualifying" winner of the kill pot the Kill Button. I don't play that often so maybe that's why, however, based on the information you've given I would rather lean in the direction of correcting the current hand (if at all possible), by that I mean backing up the action to the correct kill limit. If substantial action has taken place and keeping the hand at the lower (incorrect) level is more practical...I guess you'd have to wait for the "killer" of the last hand to post the kill on the next hand. If the next hand is also a "kill pot" I'd say you'd be better off forgetting the "make-up" kill.

Brian Vickers

• Poker Manager
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2015, 05:27:29 AM »
If the missed kill hand is followed by another kill which person posts the kill on the next hand? The most recent kill player or the one from before?

You can have more than one player post an overblind (the techinical term for what is posted on a "kill" pot).  If your house rule is that the kill acts last, then I would recommend that the most recent kill would get that priviledge and the make-up overblind acts in turn.

Nick C

• http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2015, 08:15:52 AM »
Brian:

How do you rule if the player that "kills" the last pot wants to quit the game? Is he forced to overblind without participation? If he is allowed to quit, will the other players play at the "kill" level?

How does your house rule: kill last to act...or action based on position?

Brian Vickers

• Poker Manager
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2015, 10:39:58 PM »
Brian:

How do you rule if the player that "kills" the last pot wants to quit the game? Is he forced to overblind without participation? If he is allowed to quit, will the other players play at the "kill" level?

How does your house rule: kill last to act...or action based on position?

Our policy is:  The overblind amount does not belong to him, it belongs to the pot.  He may not cash that out, if he attempts to cash it out he will not be permitted to play in the room until the amount is repaid.  It is a kill pot so other players do play at the kill rate.  If he pays and leaves I would still deal him a hand and then muck it.
Also, our kill acts in turn here, but everywhere else I've worked the Kill acted last unless there was a raise in front of him.  I prefer Kill acting last because from a house prespective, I want that potential raise to happen after other players are already in for one bet and feel obligated to call one more.

mooredog

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 01:20:35 PM »
In our room the killer plays in turn (I also prefer the act last method but the rule has been there for years and the players like it as is) and a kill must be posted whether they leave or not like Brian explained. Brian, I never thought of 2 kill posts on the same hand so I ran it by our players and they were almost unanimously opposed because they said "We want kill pots and that would short us one." As for which one posts first after a missed one, I usually have the missed person kill a pot the next time a non-kill comes up. I came back in the room after a break and a dealer was doing it the other way with the missed guy posting and the other guy waiting. We had about 3 succesive kills in a row so we were running a hand behind for quite a few hands. No player complained so we continued that way that time but next time I can see somebody speaking up if it's always done differently. You'd be surprised how often in our room this happens. Our Omaha8 game is all retired guys with possible memory issues and some of our dealers are 65+. I'd say a missed kill happens at least once a week.

Brian Vickers

• Poker Manager
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2015, 09:18:18 PM »
I just hate the idea of "make up" kills.   I can't believe none of them would be upset if a non-killed pot was suddenly a kill on their big blind when it shouldn't have been...

I'd sooner see the entire action get corrected if it were still preflop and there was no raise myself.

Spence

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2015, 09:40:31 AM »
When we ran kill games the missed round was just forgotten about.  It was played as normal round.  This was usually due to someone forgetting to give another player the kill button or dealer error.  We missed one kill hand... Oh well.  ::)