Author Topic: The question of straddles in tournament poker.  (Read 12184 times)

MikeB

• Administrator
  • TDA Member & Veteran Poster
The question of straddles in tournament poker.
« on: December 09, 2014, 12:02:22 PM »
Should any official TDA language be adopted regarding straddles in tournament play? Allowed / not allowed; set a new BB pre-flop vs. raises the flop? See link to one discussion here:

http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?topic=1082.msg9350#msg9350
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 12:34:56 PM by MikeB »

Brian Vickers

• Poker Manager
Re: The question of straddles in tournament poker.
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 02:05:47 PM »
Even though I'm a person who will often raise blind pre-flop just to amuse myself and upset others, I'm actually pretty heavily against the idea of straddling in tournament play.  I'm ok with it in cash play as it gets the pot bigger and we collect a bigger rake, but if you have a player constantly straddling your blind on a cash game you can move seats or move tables; not so in tournament play. 

That said, if some houses do have tournaments that currently allow it, I do believe that setting a new minimum bring-in is my preferred way of handling it; not treating it as a raise increment.

MikeB

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 08:53:59 PM »
Brian: Great input.

Just to clarify, is the term "new bring-in" used instead of "new big blind", because the total straddle amount applies only pre-flop whereas "the big blind" applies to all betting rounds in the hand, as in a kill?

Also noted that "bring-in" is consistent with RRoP's language on the subject.

The reason I ask is that "bring-in" is a term typically associated with stud, not board games. So I'm wondering if there is other language that could be used to accomplish the same meaning, or if most people think bring-in is the best terminology.

Else, could it just be left as: "The straddle amount is double the big blind. The straddle also becomes the minimum raise amount pre-flop. The player posting the straddle retains the right to raise when action returns to him. Post-flop the minimum bet is the big blind. Example _[illustration here]__".
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 10:47:18 AM by MikeB »

Brian Vickers

• Poker Manager
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 11:39:03 PM »
Mike, yes that is why I used that term, I've carried it over from RRoP.  Also, so that people don't think that the minimum bet on future streets has changed.

Nick C

• http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 10:17:41 AM »
Interesting subject. I don't like the idea of a straddle in tournament play. I also would not be in favor of changing the "bring-in" because of a straddle. The biggest factor, in my decision is based on most tournament play being no limit, so the number of raises are irrelevant.

My vote: No straddle for tournament poker, and if straddle is allowed, the minimum bring-in for future betting rounds is  the size of the BB.

WSOPMcGee

• The R.O.P.E.
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2015, 12:04:25 AM »
I see no relevance as to why the TDA needs to address allowing straddles in tournament play. If someone wants to run a straddle tournament or allow straddles, why not? It's another added variation to the game. As tournament play becomes more and more like cash play I only see this a fun possibility. All that really needs to be addressed is tournament organizers explaining in their literature whether straddles are allowed or not allowed. If the TDA board FEELS that it needs to establish an official position either positive or negative, it should be positive.

But in short, NO it doesn't need to be addressed by the TDA. But if it is addressed, I'm going to have pop open a can of soda, pour it into a glass and watch the carbonation fizz.
@wsopmcgee on Twitter

Nick C

• http://www.pokertda.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=557;sa=forumProfile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2015, 01:41:16 AM »
Thomas: We're having a hell of a time trying to get tournament rules straight for the simplest of games, now you want to introduce straddles for tournament poker?
Can we Mississippi Straddle, too? ;D

It might work for a house game, but I don't see it on a large scale for tournament poker.

WSOPMcGee

• The R.O.P.E.
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2015, 02:37:04 AM »
Call me crazy Nick.  :P ;D
@wsopmcgee on Twitter