POKER TOURNAMENT RULES QUESTIONS & DISCUSSIONS > Suggestions for new TDA rules and amendments to existing rules READ-ONLY ARCHIVES Pre-2015 Summit

Gestures (Rapping the table) recognized as binding.

(1/3) > >>

Nick C:
This is a topic that we've discussed in the past, without adoption. I believe that the TDA must introduce a rule that recognizes specific in-turn action, such as: tapping on the table, or rapping the table, or any such gesture when it's your turn to act, or when facing a check. There was hardly a hand that took place during this years "final Table" without players signifying a check (or pass) by tapping the table.

What do you think?

Brian Vickers:
We have a rule in my room that states that any physical gesture that the dealer interprets as a check is binding as a check.  This stops the "tapping finger while thinking" or "pointing, then when dealer says 'check' the player says 'no, that meant all-in'".

Using precedent by previous rules "Any physical gesture that the dealer interprets as a check may be ruled a check" might be the way to go with language.

WSOPMcGee:
I'm neither for or against the idea.

However, this is sort of an unwritten rule (maybe its written, I'm sure someone wrote it in some book) under general poker knowledge, that as Brian said, any gesture may be interpreted as a check.

Nick C:
Thomas: This is from R.O.P.E. And I quote "Rapping the table with your hand or using any other gesture that normally interpreted as a pass is considered a 'Check'. Verbal declarations of 'Check' or 'Pass' are binding." I also find it interesting that you never chimed in when I was "in a state of shock" at the 2011 Summit when the word "pass" was not recognized as Official Poker Terminology. :o

WSOPMcGee:

--- Quote from: Nick C on April 11, 2015, 01:31:10 AM ---Thomas: This is from R.O.P.E. And I quote "Rapping the table with your hand or using any other gesture that normally interpreted as a pass is considered a 'Check'. Verbal declarations of 'Check' or 'Pass' are binding." I also find it interesting that you never chimed in when I was "in a state of shock" at the 2011 Summit when the word "pass" was not recognized as Official Poker Terminology. :o

--- End quote ---
The word "Pass" not being recognized is still surprising to me. I remember the discussion of official terminology, but I was not there for either Summit 2011 or 2013 when the actual votes and official TDA stances were adopted. I was only able to attend Day 1 of each and give input. A definite flaw in the system.

Thanks for bringing up the R.O.P.E., I figured someone had written it somewhere  ;)  I've been meaning to write a 2nd edition for some time, but so much has changed and things continue to evolve and life gets in the way too.

Like I said, I'm neither for, nor against the idea. I also get told a lot of times that we don't use the McGee Rules of Poker around here..... lol.  ;D

I know I'm not alone when I say I'd like to see the TDA rule set more streamlined and focus on fixing the broken rules instead of adding rules to the rule set that we really have no concrete answers for. Even this topic can be subject to "iffy" unless you use language that uses the wording of "any and gestures that may be interpreted as a check" will be binding. Then add Gestures to the official terminology or glossary (if there is one).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version